English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
Information pinned ad
Art Unlimited - Sidebar Ad -Decider Pro
test
Wil-Mar - Sidebar Ad - I Got My Wil-Mar Pipe Collar!
RClub pinned ad
NRCA - Sidebar - Roofing week
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What Tools in Your Selling Arsenal?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Roofguy

When you go to make a quote presentation on a large job, what do you take with you?

Laptop? Sample board? Powerpoint? Roof Diagram? Digital Photos of Customer's Roof? ?????

August 25, 2021 at 7:23 a.m.

BethkWilliams

It has been so many years since this discussion but we know the customer's questions and awareness have increased with time. So now one who can explain them easily what, why, and when ?? will be winning the customer. They love to have live examples and reviews from where they can see and ask queries and take feedbacks easily.

August 24, 2021 at 8:35 a.m.

frankroj

January 25, 2018 at 5:59 a.m.

steve1336

One thing I have done on the referral front is to get people I have consulted for to be referrals for me.  I was called out last week to a house where they were having what they thought was a roof leak.  It turns out they just added a humidifier to their furnace that resulted in humidity/condensation issues.  I provided them with some articles on relative humidity and explained what was happening.  I also gave them some references to have their insulation looked at since some of it may have been compromised.

I asked if they would be a reference for me since I didn't try to sell them on things they really didn't need.  They were happy to.  That helped do two things: 1)  If a prospective customer calls them, their reference will attest to trustworthiness and 2)  Everyone likes to be valued and valuing them as people enough to ask them to be my reference not only got them to agree to it but also tell me that when they do need a roof, I'm their guy.

Small things matter.

December 19, 2017 at 5:35 a.m.

brad8046

You have to give the customer a reason to buy from you. Saying you're the best, 20 years of experience, won't cut it.

Look at developing a great USP, guarantee, hook or some other angle. Basically look at what all other contractors are doing and do the opposite.

Develop a referral system...warm leads have less competition. Develop a marketing system that prequalifies the leads and stop chasing commodity work.

December 10, 2017 at 7:12 a.m.

RetiredRoofer

Best tools I had was my inspection skills .....  Presentations  done with pencil and paper. As for samples, iPads, computers, etc all of those things everyone has along with flashy trucks .....

What you are missing is:

The Customer has two questions that MUST BE Answered before they will do biz with ya:

1. Can I trust you .... they will never ask, you have to show you can be trusted.

2. Are you interested in my project? You MUST SHOW interest and by inspecting carefully you show interest.

Roofers looking for for magic bullets and selling tools will always have lower close rate than those who genuinely have an interest and would do their job like you do your own!

December 3, 2017 at 7:09 p.m.

Chuck2

Why hire me? Because I've been proving that I'm the best roofer around time after time on every single job for over 32 years by providing the best quality and service from start to finish therefore making the chances of you needing my incredible workmanship warranty almost non existent.   :)

December 3, 2017 at 9:36 a.m.

vickie

What has changed in Seven years, since this post was first started?

March 20, 2010 at 5:50 p.m.

The Roofing God

That`s why you`re the man Frank !!

March 20, 2010 at 8:30 a.m.

tinner666

Here's one example; " I have looked over your website and appreciate your straight forward presentation of what you do and what you charge. I would like for you to schedule my job ( several leaks on slate roof). You can come by to inspect first or simply come by and start the repairs, whatever works best for you. I do not need a quote, I need my leaks fixed and I trust you will treat me fairly. You are free to work my job into your schedule but I would like to get these leaks fixed so I can finish the interior plaster work. Please let me know when you will be able to come by.

Thank you"

After I started the work, and then called him to tell him that on top of his known problems, his brand new slate roof on a side porch would have to be torn off and replaced, he asked for a ballpark figure of what all this would cost. I gave him one and got the go there too.

I hope to post a video, done by Virginia Slate Co. and a member of NSRCA on my website later about the job. Hop

March 20, 2010 at 8:16 a.m.

tinner666

The Roofing God Said: Wasn`t intending to slur or debase anyone Stephen,I have a high opinion of people trying to improve themselves,and help others. Just bringing to mind what I was always taught. That honest sales involves educating your customer,and setting yourself apart from the competition.

AS SUCH THERE IS NO GREATER TOOL THAN BEING CONFIDENT IN YOUR ABILITIES,Being able to look your prospective client in the eye,without looking away,and delivering what you promise.

I know what John is saying. I honestly don't do 'sales'. I set my website up to do that for me. I just meet the people, or NOT, and let them see I'm who the site represented, and shoot them a ballpark price. AND try to not overshoot that when I do the work. Sadly, I overshot the ballpark 5 times this year. In each case, I was repairing jackleg work along with the regular work. I really hate when that happens, becasue I'll discount part of that and I lose out.

March 20, 2010 at 12:38 a.m.

The Roofing God

Too much of anything can be a bad thing egg,but lack of confidence will be the anchor that drags you to the bottom-You obviously didn`t see my last job !!

March 19, 2010 at 11:14 p.m.

egg

I was just thinking, confidence is good, as y'all say, both the quiet kind and the bold kind, too. But...as I think on it further, too much of it, even the quiet kind, is pretty smelly, especially when I discover it in myself. We're only as good as our last job to be honest. Actually to be totally honest, we're only as good as the one we're on. Self-satisfaction breeds dumb and I hate dumb.

March 19, 2010 at 10:56 p.m.

egg

There are a number of us floating around that work or have worked extensively with tile. We have our own special way of looking at things. I love tile. I have to stay flexible (part of my own personal niche) or I would do even more of it than I do. Pretty demanding work but very very satisfying. I would venture that JSC has done the most volume of any of us.

March 18, 2010 at 9:56 p.m.

jimAKAblue

Stephen, I found it fascinating the other day that when I was reading through the forum, I recognized your posts, by the style of your writings. After I thought I recognized the writings, I looked at your name and felt sure that this was you. After going over a few other posts, I found the proof when you described your situation in your neighborhood regarding the hailstorm.

I'm approaching my first year anniversary in the roofing business and I've decided that I love this business. It is significantly easier than any business I've been involved in. I've been lucky because I'm in a hail area but I have had to learn how to get the jobs away from the storm chasers. I just signed another on Monday away from a stormy. Its fun. I'm now facing a challenge with getting enough leads, so my focus is changing. I don't have too much trouble closing them...if they have money LOL!

I like the niche that you are carving out for yourself in the tile biz. I haven't had much time to think about a niche here...yet.

March 18, 2010 at 9:35 p.m.

jimAKAblue

"DELIVER THE GOODS AS PROMISED"

That line brought triggered a revelation for me.

One of the most important things I bring into the presentation is confidence; confidence that I can deliver the goods as promised. I've been self employed since 1982 and I've never had as much confidence in what I am selling as I do now selling roofs. That bodes well for me because I'm not a good liar and I'm not good at faking confidence.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Certified Contractors Network - Banner Ad - Spring 2022 Conference
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
Information pinned ad
RClub pinned ad
All Points Tile - Sidebar Ad - Free Tile ID
Metalforming - Sidebar Ad - April 2022
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - Build Your Business: Learn How With Composite Roofing