User Access

Forum pinned ad
Information pinned ad
RClub pinned ad
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - Build Your Business: Learn How With Composite Roofing
test
ICP - Sidebar Ad - APOC Professional Protection
Polyglass - Sidebar Ad - Polyfresko
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What Tools in Your Selling Arsenal?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

The Roofing God

Wasn`t intending to slur or debase anyone Stephen,I have a high opinion of people trying to improve themselves,and help others. Just bringing to mind what I was always taught. That honest sales involves educating your customer,and setting yourself apart from the competition.

AS SUCH THERE IS NO GREATER TOOL THAN BEING CONFIDENT IN YOUR ABILITIES,Being able to look your prospective client in the eye,without looking away,and delivering what you promise.

Not to be an jerk with over the board cockiness,but being sure of yourself,and your abilities,,That is something that radiates from you to your customers,and That is why they will want you.

When you feel good,and things are well, they see it,and when you`re feeling down on yourself,they see that too,So you guys keep a smile on your faces,a confident glint in your eye,and go sell some work,and after you do,DELIVER THE GOODS AS PROMISED

Have a great day everyone

March 18, 2010 at 7:06 a.m.

Roofguy

Stephen, well thought out. And it reminds me of how my dad got his start and how Kold King got its start.

My dad was a shingle roofer in Denver - built up a very good reputation and did work for several builders. Taught himself to roof by reading the instructions on the back of the Fry 3-tab shingle wrappers. My dad mis-measured on one of those builder's personal house and he owed my dad an extra $100. My dad refused to take the extra $100, saying "It was my mistake and my customer doesn't pay for my mistake."

Several months later that builder was sitting down for coffee with a friend of his who owned a very large former Army ordinance depot in Nebraska. The guy told his builder friend "I sure wish I knew an honest roofer, I don't think one exists." The builder told the guy about my dad.

As a result, my dad got the contract to reroof the guy's 17 buildings, 90,000 sq ft each -- a roofer's dream, no vents, no AC, no skylights, just a firewall down the middle of each building. That's roughly 34 acres of roof area. My dad tore off to the deck, and mopped down a base and 3-plies...had 125 employees on that project at one time. Just as he was finishing the last building, baseball sized hail wiped out every roof, and my dad got the ok to start all over again. Not wanting to spend another year doing the project, that's when he invented the Kold King rig to do that project faster.

Two million dollars worth of roofing (back in the 1970's when 2 million was a lot of money) all because of a $100 deal.

March 18, 2010 at 6:49 a.m.

Stephen1

roofing god,

when Lanny described his basic presentation a few days ago- it was immediately obvious to me that He and I probabaly give pretty similar presentations.I try to keep things low key and I stay away from anything even remotely smelling like "hard sell"- but inwardly- I definitely have that cocky attitude you are describing- I HAVE no competiton-others may try to compete with me- but I am certainley not competing with THEM.

I don't remotely care what someone elses price is- it has nothing to do with me. If a prospective customer tells me they are going with another contractor because he was $1800 cheaper than me- I certainley don't hold it against the other guy- the fact is I either failed to make overwhelmingly clear that I am $6000 BETTER than the other guy or for any number of possible reasons that prospect was never a viable prospect for me.

I am usually looking for something about the project that I can use to be a "game changer"-something that will instantly prevent the prospect from making an apples to apples comparison.

Example:- on tuesday I was talking with a homeowner I did a big roof project for about 10-12 years ago- back THEN he told me that as soon as I suggested copper valleys and copper drip edge for his project no one else was in the running and it was just a matter of where he was going to get the money from. Over the years I have done other ,smaller projects for him-some of them as barter for some of the cherry lumber he has air drying- tuesday we were discussing the installation I am going to do of a mammoth,new, custom made entry door he has being fabricated. he mentioned that 10-12 years ago- I was the ONLY contractor that went in his attic---------------

yesterday morning- I went to an airvent seminar- keep in mind that most of the roofers there were probably better than average- they were at least trying to educate themselves about materials and techniques.

as we were going inside- the guy in line ahead of me was wearing a coat- which at first glance i thought was a Cammo coat- like for hunting? On second glance I realized the pattern on the coat was a pile of human skulls! LOL. inside the seminar?- well you don't often see such a collection of Mullets, tatoos, guys with earings and assorted piercings, fu manchu mustaches and cheesy goatees, guys who hadn't shaved and so forth. Probably 150-200 guys-maybe 1 out of 20 would I even allow in my home as a homeowner-and THESE are the guys that are probably better than average!

On the whole- the bar is set pretty low

Best wishes to all, gotta run stephen

March 18, 2010 at 6:03 a.m.

Stephen1

Good morning Blue. I suspect you already recognized me- but we have known each other for 10-12 years from the other forum-------

RE:- the camera and the laptop. That is in my plans for this year- I expected to already have that system up and running this spring- but I got a bit bogged down over the winter getting a basic web site put together and up and running. I am at just over 60% of our business in slate and tile roof repair/restoration and I fully expect to have that to about 80% within a year or so.

with slate- and much more importantly TILE--- most of the battle is being able to match the existing roof. I figure I will be able to maintain a photo inventory of the tile profiles,sizes,colors,accessories etc. I already own, take rooftop pictures of the actual problem areas-and show my customers on the laptop EXACTLY what the problem is, how well I can match it with stock I already own OR have readily accessible AND show them previously solved similar situations. some of these tile profiles haven't been made in several generations-so If you can show the customer that they CAN be matched- you are golden

March 18, 2010 at 12:18 a.m.

The Roofing God

Stephen,As far as I`m concerned when I walk in that door,There is no competition,there are always people who sell them a roof,that looks similar to mine,and may be even has the same shingles I would install,usually they even spell roof with the same 4 letters. That`s where the comparison ends,I put the proper roof "system" together for each client,that takes care of all the details,Usually because I`ve done my homework on site,and know what causes failures,I educate my customers like no other,and pay great attention to the details which make or break the roof. Sure I don`t get them all,and a lot of times personalities rub certain people the wrong way,Some say "That guy thinks he knows everything" ,and they go with another because As you may have heard "A roof is just a roof,or didn`t you know?" These people who settle for less often call back ,sometimes a few years later,or as quick as a month or two later.

When they do,They realize that that guy wasn`t such a pompous ass after all,He really knew his shit,and We should`ve hired him,At that point I hear things like I really don`t care about the price so much,I just want it done right,so this nightmare can end.

Selling a job to a customer for me,Has alwaysbeen about setting yourself apart from the competition,It`s your knowledge,experience,and how well you can educate your customer with those facts that set you apart from the "competition"

Just so you know,When a client says to me,"Oh your competition said",Thats when I stop them,and say Hate to break it to you,but I really don`t believe I have competition at this,as competition would be a contractor being able to offer you the same things with the same qualifications I do,So lets forget about these people,and I`ll show you why you should hire my company.

March 17, 2010 at 11:47 p.m.

egg

I bring a sandwich with me. That way, when I'm ravenously devouring that sucker and giving them my spiel, gasping for breath in between bites and trying to speak only between swallows and never with my mouth full, they can see for themselves I'm really hungry and when they try to beat me down I tell them I would love to but I just can't. I haven't used the horse head yet, but that's a good idea. I'm surprised I didn't think of that one. rotfl.

imho Stephen is definitely on to something there.

March 17, 2010 at 11:27 p.m.

jimAKAblue

Interesting question Roofguy. I'm a new guy here. Call me Jim or call me Blue (an old moniker from the demised Breaktime, a Taunton site)

I'm new to the roofing business (less that one full year full time) although I've been self employed since 1982. Most of my experience was in new work: custom framing. I never carried anything into those sales presentations but I learned fast that I need specific tools for the roofing business.

I bring a smattering of literature but I don't normally pull it all out unless something comes up in a specific discussion. On the older houses, I pull out the ventilation book and charts. I use the reference materials to explain the basics of the modern ventilation systems.

I bring a laptop but normally leave it in the truck. I did have to run out to the truck on the last job I sold and used it to revamp some pricing and negotiated the sale.

Inside the laptop is my estimating program. It tells me to the penny my costs and spits out a price that I want, as well as the lowest price I will take. Yes...I will negotiate on price if I have to.

I haven't used the camera much but I suspect that I'm missing a very valuable tool. Perhaps I haven't needed it because 90% of my work has been hail damage and I haven't had the need for pictures. I walked a roof last week that wasn't a hail job and in the notes section of my sketch, I had six problem areas listed. Pictures would have been much more effective. I'll be investing in a "point and shoot" immediately.

I'm actually traveling light. I don't bring the boards in but I usually have some ready in the truck. I do bring in the GAF sample folder that fits in the bag. I also bring in a plain manilla file with the name and info typed on a label. I hate seeing my crappy handwriting on a file. If possible, I also walk in with a satelitte view of the roof, already dimensioned. I want the customer to KNOW that I am organized.

The most important tool for me is my proposal/contract. It spells out everything I'm going to do on that roof. I normally need about 30 minutes to work my way down to the price section and by that time, if they don't love me and my company...they never will...it won't matter what the price is.

Stephen's question is interesting enough to warrant it's own thread.

What do you bring in Roofguy?

March 15, 2010 at 10:46 p.m.

The Roofing God

Clean,neat appearance, a measuring tape with a pad to draw diagrams of the job material samples Dvds with my photo gallery on them A digital camera with connection cables to link it to the prospects TV,or monitor. a smile,and a positive attitude Two ears to listen to the customer,So you can work to give them what they really need

March 15, 2010 at 9:29 p.m.

GKRFG1

A clean, detailed proposal and the knowledge about all aspects of the job. I try to point out aspects of the job that are important and explain how we will deal with them as compared to some of the cheaper competition. I specify brands and styles of shingles, ridge vents, etc. Oftem times I will leave some literature but not always. Most of my prospects are referals which seems to be a plus. I always provide a referal from a nearby customer and encourage the prospect to look at our work and talk with the homeowner. The other day I was able to point to the house next door. We got the go ahead for that one.

March 15, 2010 at 9:25 p.m.

lanny

---Stephen, excellent point. ---I always laugh at roofers who advertise "quality craftsmanship" as tho they were making oak furniture. ---I answer that question when talking to the homeowner by telling him, I have been roofing for over 40 years and I will be actually be working myself on their roof. I cannot get it done in one day like other companies with 10 workers who do not speak English. But I am the small guy who still swings a hammer and when the owner of the company is on the job that is the best quality control you can get. ---The "quality craftsmanship" company hires 5-10 people /a week all year long. Most customers have no idea who REALLY works at large roofing companies. I know as I used to work for many of them. Lots of drug users, transients, new hires, warm bodies, piece work hustlers who cut corners, hourly lackeys, and etc. ---How I come across appeals to many older age homeowners. I am the guy they want to hire. However, some want something I cannot give so they get someone else. I understand I am not everyone's guy. But I do get a high percentage of jobs I bid. ---I would be interested in hearing what other roofers would say to that question, "Why should I hire you?" Lanny

March 15, 2010 at 6:11 p.m.

2ndgen

For a large job, while it might seem counterintuitive, I go bare. I just go to check the site out with a note pad to see what I'll need. Then I come back with whatever I need.

This results in two things... 1) I will have everything I need specifically for that estimate 2) I will have another opportunity to meed with the contact person. By then, he'll have other bids and I might be able to get a peek at them. And, the more you talk to that contact person, the more rapport you develop. Not in every case, but generally.

The absolute best selling tool I've found is a camera...that and my brain.

;)

March 15, 2010 at 4:38 p.m.

tinner666

copperman Said: Rabbits foot :silly:

I second that one! :silly:

The ones that come through my sites are already sold. I just have to show my ugly mug and give a price range.

March 15, 2010 at 8:09 a.m.

Stephen1

Roofguy, I have been thinking for a day or so about how to formulate my answer---- because it would be awfully easy to un-intentionally insult some good folks here- but I will go ahead and risk it.

1) when you go to make your sales presentation- you NEED the answer to ONE question.

while reading various sales and business books over the years- I have come across this question several times- and I always sort of laughed it off- at the time no one had EVER actually verbalized the question-untill 4 years ago

I was discussing- what for me would have been the 2nd biggest roof I had ever done- over 100 squares. The prospect had come to me via the stongest referall imagineable-and despite that impressive referall- the prospective customer looked me right in the eye and said " Stephen, tell me exactly why we should hire YOU instead of someone else?"

Well- fortune was smiling on me that day-and I was able to give a really good answer, on the spot( I don't think very well on my feet- but I did that day). I could tell you MY answer- but it won't do YOU any good- because my answer is unique to me-and your answer should be unique to YOU.

THAT is the key-" why should we hire YOU?"- no one else interested in the job should be able to give YOUR answer- it's what makes YOU clearly the best person for the job.

2)-some possible answers-are pretty bad-and this is where I risk insulting some good people here

a)" we do very good work for a fair price"- if the customer is gettingt several estimates- be assured that quite a few of those contractors will be using the same line-so if they have contact with 3 or 4 guys all doing good work at a fair price- why should they hire YOU. b)- referalls-------again- if they are getting several estimates- undoubtedly several of them are from very good referalls-so why YOU c)---warranty, materials,price etc.----------- recently I have seen several people here describe recent projects they bid- they describe standard,readily available materials, list a fairly low price, mention referalls or previous track record with the prospect-and yet didn't get the job

let's think about THAT.-we all can buy the same basic materials- because we are limmited to the same potential manufactureres-we ALL pay the same basic price within each geographic market-we ALLcan offer the same basic warranty-so why should the customer choose YOU?

d) previous jobs?-don't we ALL pretty much have a list of satisfied customers????- I don't even bring a "brag book " along anymore-we all have them-so it hardly sets us apart from the competition. assume every other potential contractor can also give hundreds-even thousands of satisfied customer referalls- why choose YOU?

3)- since that day 4 years ago- no customer has ever verbalized that question-but after thinking about it, I realized EVERY customer wants that answer-and I give it to them.

If they don't directly ask the qustion- I don't directly answer it verbally- but DEMONSTRATING the answer is my basic presentation. after my presentation- if their neighbor asks them why they chose ME- my customer will clearly be able to tell them EXACTLY why they chose me.

Understand- that YOUR answer won't appeal to everyone- some folks are looking for the lowest price- someone will always be cheaper than me

some will be looking for a member of THEIR church-probably won't be me some people will-or won't do business with you if you aren't from the same ethnic group etc.

many many reasons why YOUR answer won't work on everyone-and it shouldn't- it's just the right answer for YOU.

So-all those tools you asked about-are just tools-and they are only usefull if they are used to demonstrate YOUR answer I think- otherwise you are just spinning your wheels

Very,very best wishes to all, stephen

March 14, 2010 at 1:07 p.m.

Old School

Referals

March 13, 2010 at 8:03 p.m.

copperman

Rabbits foot :silly:

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Rockwool - Banner Ad - Watch Now - RLW - Acoustics - April 2022
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
test
RClub pinned ad
Tuck - RCS - 2022 - Sidebar
Art Unlimited - Sidebar Ad -Decider Pro
Directory pinned ad