User Access

Forum pinned ad
classified
Owens Corning - Sidebar Ad - Growth for Your Whole Business
Palisade - Sidebar Ad - Palisade Build On Trust
NRCA - Sidebar - Roofing week
Leap - Sidebar Ad - Empowering Contractors
Malarkey-Dec-Sidebar-Ad-250x265
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What do you do to recycle on the job?

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
Author

sarah2

What do you do to recycle on the job?>>>

March 21, 2009 at 10:32 a.m.

HappyRoofer1

We been approached by two recyclers for shingles. What have roofers been paying to dump shingles, paper, nails to a recycler? Have to be careful when recycling so the owner or neighbors don't empty their shed and garage into the dumpster. I use to pay flat fee so I would tell the owner to fill er up if they wanted. Sometimes that in is self helped a sale. This would go to a licenced construction material land fill. Now we are into pay by the ton.

EPDM is recyclable if you cut it into managable pieces and resell for ponds or wood pile covers - what ever. Makes excellent slip sheets over a liveroof or paverroof.

PVC is not recyclable but can be used for slip sheets. Many of the PVC products can still be heat welded if they have not lost the flexiblility. PVC must be disposed of properly as it contains dioxins and other cancer causing agents. TPO is not much worried about presently cause it is to new. I understand there are systems in the works to recycle the plastic from the sheet.

Most insulations if not wet- but dirty still retain the base R values. Throwing insulation out is not good. If extruded polysytrene get soaked it will not dried out as easy as ISO. How everm both take a long time. I stuck 40 squares of Extruded Polystyrene in a ware house that was soaked. When dry could later resell it to some low end landlords. 5 years later it was still wet. I never save wet bead board cause it falls apart when soaked.

Once in a while I will advertise free insulation and set out odd sizes- mostly tapered boards for people to come and take. Hunting cabins and shacks for recreation are easily built with salvaged materials. >>>

March 19, 2009 at 4:21 p.m.

tinner666

EPDM, copper, lead and aluminum go to my shop and get recycled into other projects, from cleats, to bibs, to bullets, to lead anchors, to sinkers, to whatever use I find. I have friends who often want the salvage for their own projects.>>>

March 14, 2009 at 12:54 p.m.

Roofsrus1

We save all aluminum, copper, lead, and any other metal goes to the dump alongside the debris of shingles, cut-up newer debris of shingles, felt, wrappers.>>>

March 13, 2009 at 6:57 a.m.

Lefty

Hi Copperman,

They are in Lansdale. They will put a dumpster at each job. But they will not put one at my shop? I want the biggest dumpster at my shop. They will get a cleaner load, and save on time and fuel. It just does not make sense to them.

http://eastcoastshinglerecyclers.com/Homeowners.html>>>

March 12, 2009 at 10:42 p.m.

Mike H

I kept 241 cubic yards of iso out of a landfill by saving what some boneheaded consulant demanded be torn off to make himself look good, and sold it one of my good customers at a rate that saved them almost $10,000 off the cost of new insulation.

I look for opportunities, but they can be hard to find.

All metals are recycled, and the formen split the proceeds.>>>

March 12, 2009 at 3:31 p.m.

GKRFG1

In the Chicago area landfill space is about gone. The garbage is generally compacted and shipped to landfills to the south. The dumpster company that I use takes all shingle loads to a plant in Wisconsin to be recycled into road material. I encourage the crew to take the aluminum and lead for extra cash but I don't think they do it as much as they should.>>>

March 8, 2009 at 11:37 a.m.

jfreynik

we save all metal to recycle. slate is used for clean fill. i don't know of anybody recycling shingles in our area>>>

March 7, 2009 at 7:02 a.m.

Jack-Legge

Arrrrrr, well shiver me monays ther, we says for shure. Ole Jack was just the other day atellin tha motley crew of scurvey dogs an wetbacks. Laddies,we are throwin away a small fortune of tha coin,we are for shurrre, by not adoin some of tha recycicallling,I sez. Jus look at all them beer cans that we got scattered in tha back of Ole Jacks truck, an all them we leave behind tha bushes an stuffed down tha victums....er....customers chimney ther. Ole jack has become eeeco friendly ther, he has for shure. Course, it was sorta hard to git them wets ta unerstan Ole Jack, we did have to use a lot of tha sine language. Them lads don't talk much of tha English ye'no. You know...like beero canno in the sacko, then a nice pop on tha back of tha head. They ketch on, reel quick like. ar ar ar ar ar ar ar

Ole Jack...signnin out...til he can be of help nex time, argh.>>>

March 6, 2009 at 11:15 a.m.

Miscreant

We recycle all metals except steel, paper, plastic and roofers.>>>

March 6, 2009 at 7:57 a.m.

Terry D

We recycle aluminum, other metals and cardboard. The metals we haul to the scrap yard ourself. We have a dumpster for the cardboard. As far as I know there are no outlets for recycling shingle. Any wood is used as fuel in the woodburner in the shop. For the rare load of ballast - there is a stone company that will take it sometimes and if they don't we just look for the "clean fill wanted" signs.

I keep looking at the Humane Society to breed a shingle-eating dog.>>>

March 5, 2009 at 8:22 p.m.

Old School

The company that Andy and I work with is great. They bend over backwards for us. For me anyway. I try and give them clean loads. I want to see the chingles keep out of the landfill. What a waste to throw out good materials.>>>

March 4, 2009 at 6:30 a.m.

Lefty

Hi,

We recycle cardboard, metal, slate, plastic, paper, magazines, and tree branches.

There is a place near us that does shingles. They make it so hard to do that we actually can not recycle them.>>>

March 3, 2009 at 11:07 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

Recycling fees, city and county fees are relitively the same price where I work and live....we are required to seperate every thing so there is no incentive to recycle. Only thing that is worth saving are soft lead and that price has dropped from .25 to .12 cents a pound.>>>

March 3, 2009 at 7:13 p.m.

twill59

I was told that the price of drip edge and aluminum accessories will stay the same, or come down a little. I sez, to def ears: "HOW ABOUT PUTTING MORE METAL INTO THE PRODUCT!!!!!">>>

March 3, 2009 at 7:04 p.m.

Old School

Since the price of metals dropped, my recycle pile is just getting bigger. I will organize it and one of these days it will go back up. How much the money will be worth at that time is in question. We will see. At least the cost of new metal has come down!>>>

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tamko - Banner Ad - Experience Titan XT
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
RLW pinned ad
Information pinned ad
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Malarkey-Dec-Sidebar-Ad-250x265
Exceptional Metals - Sidebar Ad - Metal Roof Tax Incentives