User Access

Forum pinned ad
Forum pinned ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - Mini-Macaden
Metalforming - Sidebar Ad - April 2022
Malarkey-Dec-Sidebar-Ad-250x265
Everroof - Sidebar Ad - Podcast Promo
General Coatings - Sidebar Ad - Get Your Info Now
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

State Contractor Licensing

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
Author

Patty Cakes

already changed to 3602 in minutes

September 25, 2010 at 8:29 p.m.

Patty Cakes

At this time 3597 views and only 29 responces. Too many lurkers. Sorry Steve, good topic. PC

August 30, 2010 at 9:45 p.m.

wywoody

I just clicked on because there was 2000 views, does that make me a spaced odyssey?

August 25, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.

twill59

In IN with all of the various city, town and county requirements all angling to get their little tax from you, it would be much easier to have a standardized statewide procedure.

I have to take Friday morning off to take a Lake County test. Which won't do me much good in the majority of towns in Lake County.

But really I'd rather just pay $500-$1,000 0r so a yr. ONE TIME and be licensed everywhere than this tangle we now have.

August 25, 2010 at 8:53 a.m.

RavenRoofing

a good reason to obtain a license is it says something positive about you and your business. And that you have met and continue to meet a rigorous set of requirements both professionally and personally.

Also some counties and/or municipalities are beginning to require that contractors who do work in their jurisdictions have a state registered or certified license to maintain as high a level of professional contractors as possible.

August 21, 2010 at 8:54 a.m.

twill59

In a way there is not much sense in making it too difficult to get licnsed for shingle work. Just insurance requirements, a financial literacy test (Can you raise a family of 12 on $22K per yr?, for example) and a tax form, along w/ a minimal amount of enforcement (12 trucks, 20 ladders and 1 employee might be a red flag) ought to eliminate a bunch of fellas.

If there was skills testing involved forget about it.

August 20, 2010 at 10:52 p.m.

TomB

Just to reiterate....I've done business in both states that have licensing and states that don't....There is a HUGE, I mean HUIGE!, difference in the general quality of work, as well as business ethics that goes along with it....

August 20, 2010 at 9:56 p.m.

Patty Cakes

Honestly, just to throw in here. Egg, eloquent as usual. BUT....anyone can get that and it truly gives no qualification what so ever. OK the insurance I get. It gets them in the door that still doesn't mean your getting the quality of work. I can get certified, I know how to estimate and don't know didly about applying a roof. (well that's sorta not true) I know what the intention of state regulation is, but lordy...we are talking about a piece of paper. I have been here long enough, I know too many roofers, the majority have great intentions, just spent the afternoon with 3 of them, none agreed on anything, I just shook my head and went home. PC

August 9, 2010 at 1:44 a.m.

egg

I approve of contractor licenses. Not hard to get. Not hard to maintain. A license indicates a willingness to meet and maintain a minimum level of accountability. A license is an ante. A license connects your pocketbook and your reputation to your mouth. It usually involves a bond. When something goes wrong, you can't just excuse yourself with a shrug. You post a freedom to get a freedom. Citizenship is a license. In California, blue-collar tradesmen get licenses all the time. When you don't take care of business, you lose it. Most of the time. Nothing's perfect except utopia before it falls out of the sky and lands on a pitchfork.

August 7, 2010 at 12:45 p.m.

TomB

Twill....Well then...no wonder!(lack of state licensing)....Sorry, I don't know where I got the notion you were in Florida????

BTW....I've always said the same about the insurance industry....So, your not alone....

August 7, 2010 at 7:48 a.m.

twill59

TomB I am in Indiana. Valparaiso requires contractor registration and the pruchase of a permit. At leaast by me :dry:

Tico... the ins. cos. are driving the installed prices down why would they want them to go back up? Of course there interiors woud be protected along w/ other items. I am just so surprised they insure everything that comes along. I sense they are required too and it is eaaier to raise rates than to do anything else.

Folks laugh when I say it, but they are part of the Government Cartel. Some folks actually believe that the insurance industry is part of the "free market" :laugh:

August 7, 2010 at 1:03 a.m.

tico

florida doesn't have an across the board roofing code for the whole state. in miami your code for felt,tin capping and bulling metal and starter is not statewide. as with their screen enclosures,another thing I've done,in full. the S/E code in S.Fl. was written by Bob Monsuier from Ram engineering.solid contractors used his firm for doing their work,and started do do so way back.he would draft small pluses to projects of several sorts.when you read the tech and spec sheets to his jobs their'd be many upgrades for things relatively simple and often inexpensive to install or do. personally the miami dade co.felting and tin capping,it may seem like overkill,yet after Katrina touched south miami,some homes had the intermittant shingles missing.and that capped to hell paper was there. I did several small replacements of shingles for some of the homes we did enclosures on and it was nice to see that the H/O's fared well.

August 6, 2010 at 7:42 p.m.

TomB

Turn in the dirt bags! It's the ethical thing to do....Silence is acceptance.

August 6, 2010 at 8:23 a.m.

tico

JSC Said: JSC....The sub-games going on in CA?....How could that be, especially with the recent WC requirement?

Not very legally, and Im pondering whether to turn one contractor in particular in. Hes taken some pretty premium accounts by being able to price without a labor burden.

Have a real hesitation to be a snitch, but what do you guys think?

snitchin is not A word relative to an honest industry protecting themselves,AND their customer BASE. now,if your sellin dope and a roof,or they got A crop in the house,

and I feel that the best assault for A nationwide liscensing requirement would be to approach the ins. industry. make them feel the pain of not only the shysted customer,make them realize the probability of A much better applied roof,and the protection it would offer the home. and whats the second largest expense in the ins. game after the roof?the interior,and it's contents. they can double their savable interest in the long run,eventually be able to monitor the better liscensed contractors from the not so,and then build A data base and then offer A better relationship between the contractor,the Home Owner/business(commercial roof)owner and themselves.

August 6, 2010 at 5:43 a.m.

twill59

Still does not work. I re-sized the pic.... :angry:

to much space between the img and the / there should ony be 1 character space img / not 2

Thanks. Now to remember that :side:

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Duro-Last - Banner Ad - Custom Fabrication Award
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
S-5! - Sidebar Ad - Snow Guard
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - Mini-Macaden
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - 3 Things Your Manufacturers Should be Doing For You eBook (2)
NRCA - Sidebar - Roofing week
Malarkey-Dec-Sidebar-Ad-250x265
RClub pinned ad