User Access

Forum pinned ad
ICP - Sidebar Ad - APOC Professional Protection
Everroof - Sidebar Ad - Podcast Promo
asdf12
Directory pinned ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar Ad - Growth for Your Whole Business
Quarrix - Sidebar Ad - Wall Protection Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

State Contractor Licensing

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
Author

Webmaster Steve

What are your thoughts on State Contractors License.

Should they be manditory Yes/No

January 16, 2011 at 9:39 a.m.

brandon0805

WOW!!

January 7, 2011 at 3:23 p.m.

TomB

Licensing is the issue.....and there's a BIG difference btwn states w/o licensing, as opposed to states with authentic licensing, (notice i used the word authentic?)....the results are forced, improved general ethics....the licensing has to be such that it holds the contractor accountable....I've gleened from this forum that some state's have useless licensing....

January 5, 2011 at 7:29 p.m.

tinner666

Oh. my answer to the question is 'Yes'. As for the rest of it, maybe. I waivered most of that since I work alone. I don't qualify for bonding. I'm sure. And why bother? I work alone.

January 5, 2011 at 7:25 p.m.

tinner666

PC said "band", not 'ban'. I think she wants to be wrapped in something. Maybe Xmas wrapping paper?

On topic, I'm licensed and the state requires it. I see legit contractors screwing people all over. If I was unlicensed, I'd still charge a premium for my sevices. I don't think licensing is the issue. I think it has more to do with ethics.

December 23, 2010 at 3:48 p.m.

Xactimate Coach

Merry Christmas Everyone! Yes I did Say MERRRRRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!! and on that note a Happy, Blessed and Prosperous New Year!!!!!!!

Oh almost forgot. They got rid of the Contractors license in Texas. Couldnt keep the "Government Office" funded even though they were collecting fees to be licensed. TRCC = Garbage. Still a contractor but also an Xactimate Instructor.

Xactimate Coach

www.xactimatecoach.com

December 17, 2010 at 10:08 a.m.

Webmaster Steve

I suppose I could ban you if it will make you feel more appreciated.

December 17, 2010 at 1:11 a.m.

Patty Cakes

7883 viewed and 39 replied. ???????????????????

I just don't get it. Steve I've been out of roofing for 3 years now, so I don't talk about it, too many changes in the industry, so I just come on line to piss people off about other topics. Neither you or Vicky have band me yet. PC

December 13, 2010 at 9:56 p.m.

TomB

Getting a bit off the topic of licensing....In any event; Yes, that's same ole thing/dynamic where big bro is concerned....Kinda like big bro allowing the employment of illegals, yet wants to "go after" employers that hire them....

December 1, 2010 at 5:51 p.m.

twill59

Sounds like IN, TomU. But then again,"lets make it harder for our legitimate businesses to do business here and reward those who disregard our established laws", it sounds like everywhere else.

December 1, 2010 at 1:29 p.m.

TomU

Less than a year ago, the State Legislature here had a proposed bill in conference committee which would raise the State Unemployment Insurance (tax) from 2.7% of the first $7,000.00 earned annually to 5.4% of the first $9,500.00 earned annually per employee. The way it is now you pay $189/employee/year to the state. The new law would make it $513.00/employee/year a difference of $324 per employee. If you are playing by the rules and have say 10 employees, that's over 3k per year MORE.

Now what about the guy who pays no state of federal unemployment insurance? More often than not he is the same guy using subs and foregoing general business and liability insurance, not to mention worker's comp since he has no "employees" per se.

So, by playing by the rules and following the state laws, you now have the honor of paying the other fella's share too. Can you see how there might be a substantial difference in pricing between you and the scofflaw?

Rather than see to it that current laws are adhered to by all, this state has chosen instead to charge more to those who chose to participate legally.

In other words, the state has taken the easy stance of,"lets make it harder for our legitimate businesses to do business here and reward those who disregard our established laws".

Point here is, if you are willing to accept licensing requirements in your state, then be prepared to accept the accompanying cost of enforcement. Otherwise, licensing for contractors may carry plenty of burden without providing much benefit.

October 29, 2010 at 8:57 a.m.

Webmaster Steve

No not at all

October 29, 2010 at 5:28 a.m.

Roofsrus1

Do you also believe that each state which licenses contractors should also require those contractors to use a specific contract that mandates certain information to be placed in that contract and that if it is not done the states way-=there can and will be penalties.

October 22, 2010 at 10:18 p.m.

The Roofing God

"All that`s required for evil to prosper,

Is for good men to sit back and do nothing "

October 1, 2010 at 6:05 p.m.

Webmaster Steve

I don't know who they are.

Maybe thier just afraid to speak up for fear of getting slammed.

I personally believe every state should require contractors to be licensed and bonded and they should be required to have liabilty and workers comp insurance.

I was in the business for 26 years and when I had my company It was tuff bidding against unlicensed (I won't call them contractors) idiots when I was paying for all that.

I would lertarally loose jobs to guys that put tear off existing roof and install 20 year shingle

I used to tell my customers you can sit in your front yard with the contract and check off each step of the installation. they knew exactly what they were getting, how is was going to be installed and what the warranty for the material and labor were before they signed the contract.

I loved roofing, to me it was an art not a job.

October 1, 2010 at 2:06 p.m.

Patty Cakes

now up to 4145??? Talk People. Steve, who the lurkers? Are they feeling the table?

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cotney Consulting - Banner Ad - Next Level Estimating Training
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Danny Boyle
Exceptional Metals - Sidebar Ad - Metal Roof Tax Incentives
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - 3 Things Your Manufacturers Should be Doing For You eBook (2)
NRCA - Sidebar - Roofing week
ICP - Sidebar Ad - APOC Professional Protection
Malarkey-Dec-Sidebar-Ad-250x265