Français

User Access

egtest82124 Avatar
SRS - Sidebar Ad - We Stand With Ukraine
Information pinned ad
ICP - Sidebar Ad - APOC Professional Protection
egtest82124 Avatar
Tuck - RCS - 2022 - Sidebar
Wil-Mar - Sidebar Ad - I Got My Wil-Mar Pipe Collar!
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Slate roofs!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Old School

I haven't been able to post pictures for some time. I just figured out how do fix that! These were taken this September at the slate roofers convention. Now that is a roof!

http://picasaweb.google.com/crookston.john4/

December 29, 2010 at 9:18 p.m.

Old School

Vaa, Photobucket? How does that work? I have just gotten so I can post with Picasa! Woody, nice looking roof. I have seen pictures of people installing "stone" roofs like that. A hammer drill to drill holes through it, and long screws or pegs. Neat, but very time consuming. So was this roof I am sure. Tons of weight too.

December 29, 2010 at 11:35 a.m.

copperman

woody all I can say is wow! love that roof.

December 29, 2010 at 7:08 a.m.

wywoody

Here's a picture of a Swiss stone roof. The newer addition has newer, precision cut stone, although I like the older random look better. Although I do see some kind of membrane stuck in as a repair.

December 28, 2010 at 5:41 p.m.

Old School

Twil. I don't know what they did for a starter or to attach them. The guy that owned the house also owns a slate quarry and the whole house is slate. Walls, roof, floor, chimneys...It is a bit gaudy and over the top for me. The roof is neat by itself, but too much when viewed with the whole. I guess the whole thing is an addition too. they built a new house around the old one. It is all steel supported and I am not sure what the roof deck consists of. I don't know who did it, but they were pretty good. Heaviest slate roof I have ever seen. I stood on a wall of slate pieces naturally, and put my hand on the big one for perspective. Quite the house.

December 28, 2010 at 5:32 p.m.

copperman

The job I did the rafters were 2X12 on 8 inch centers with 2X8 stud walls. In our area they have to figure a 40lbs. per sq. ft. snow load also.

December 28, 2010 at 5:32 p.m.

copperman

The job I did the rafters were 2X12 on 8 inch centers with 2X8 stud walls. In our area they have to figure a 40lbs. per sq. ft. snow load also.

December 28, 2010 at 8:33 a.m.

Old School

Copper! I don't know if you looked at the other pictures on the post, as only one is up to see. The slates there are about 5 inches thick at the bottom and then they get smaller and thinner like you are saying. It must be 300#'s a square foot on the bottom anyway.

Steve, how do you get the pictures to all come up? I don't know enough about this. Vaa can post a bunch of pictures all at once and I know it can be done. It is a pain to click on the url and then have to do the slide show. Technology!

December 28, 2010 at 8:32 a.m.

twill59

More like slabs than shingles. What'd you use for a starter?

December 28, 2010 at 5:39 a.m.

copperman

Love the roof! I did one like that years ago. Was hard to get copper nails long enough to use. the biggest slate on the roof was 18 inches wide by 24 long. could barley carry it. The roof was random width and length and the slate got thinner and smaller as it went up the roof. last coarse they were 6 inches wide by 12 inches long. that was a real bugger to lay out because the builder bought the slate and was going to do it himself and soon realized it was way out of his ability to do. He through out the paper work from the quarry! that had the layout and the 5 color mix formula on it.I wish I had taken some pictures.

December 27, 2010 at 8:23 p.m.

Old School

Steve, I am trying to get the one on the third post to show up. It has pictues of really thick slate on it.

December 27, 2010 at 8:20 p.m.

Webmaster Steve

your not getting all the image or link url

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_nMS-WXiC4AU/Sykm_MBZv-I/AAAAAAAAAn8/pvgh3mMtbv4/FAMILY%20PICS%20dec2009%20234.jpg

December 27, 2010 at 8:05 p.m.
December 27, 2010 at 8:03 p.m.

Old School

What in the heck is going on here? It didn't work. I will try again

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tremco - Banner Ad - Train to Retain Podcast
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

egtest82124 Avatar
Owens Corning - Sidebar Ad - Growth for Your Whole Business
Information pinned ad
Leap - Sidebar Ad - Empowering Contractors
Metalforming - Sidebar Ad - April 2022
Everroof - Sidebar Ad - Podcast Promo