User Access

egtest82124 Avatar
SRS - Sidebar Ad - We Stand With Ukraine
Information pinned ad
All Points Tile - Sidebar Ad - Free Tile ID
Metalforming - Sidebar Ad - April 2022
NRCA - Sidebar - Roofing week
egtest82124 Avatar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

NEW/OLD TOPIC - Sales Closing Advice

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

Found this in the File. I miss Scott. Good stuff here:

TOPIC SALES / CLOSING ADVICE

SCOTT This is advice from a marketing friend of mine. I've had this conversation about four times in the recent weeks all with different people marketing different products or services but they all started out the same. "I'm not closing very many sales, What am I doing wrong?" In digging a little deeper it was inevitable that what the marketer was doing wrong was "pushing" for the sale. People will buy what they decide they want to buy! They will not buy what you're selling. Your job as a marketer is not to sell, your job is to help the customer WANT to buy. A very distinct difference.

Sellers usually have a pre-thought speech that they offer to potential customers. They know how to put in the features. They may even have a graph that clearly highlights the superiority of their product over the competitors. They're sincere! They believe in their product and genuinely want to help their customers. So what's wrong with that?

One thing is missing "The customer" in that conversation. There was very little listening. There weren't questions asked. For the most part it could have taken place without the customer being present and that's the key word - Present. To be a good salesperson, which lets face it is what a marketer is, we must be present. Being present means that you start by listening, and when you're done listening you ask a few questions. Which demands more listening and you repeat that pattern until the person either says one of two things; They either say thank you and goodbye or they ask if you will sell them your product/service. What would happen if you didn't push for the "close" but instead let your customer push for it?

REPLIES -

ROOFGUY - Excellent! You'll get some arguments from those diehards among this group who think that pushing for the close is the only way to sell. It's just one way! When "selling" I approach Mr. Prospect with ZERO preconceived points/pitches. In fact, I have no clue what I'm going to say at all. I just wing it and try to pick up on his cues as to what is important to him. Not only does that remove much stress, it makes you look less like a salesman. I'm a firm believer that there will be a right and wrong way to sell, ONLY when the day comes that everyone has the same personality.

SCOTT - Good points, I am the same way. I never know what My pitch is but yet it's always the same. Just answer the questions and maybe add something they overlook. Fill the desire they are looking for with honesty. You will never sell me a thing with the "push to sell" technique. I don't tolerate it well and don't think others do either. ROOFGUY - For a long time I've had a personal policy on purchasing bigger ticket items that is, if the seller begins to pressure me I totally back away and rethink the whole thing. Cars, houses, whatever -- if the salesman gets pushy and/or attempts some of his closing techniques, chances are he just lost the sale because of it. I know that other people think like me, so I try to sell the way I want to be sold too. Low/No pressure.

I do like this topic, Scott. Because I've always believed that the "proper" way to sell is the one that works for you. My dad is the best salesman you'll ever meet and he taught me to sell, but his style and mine are a lot different.

DARREL - Scott I consider myself an old school closer. I never have applied pressure on little old widow ladies or someone in trouble when I went on a sales call. This call was set up for me or it was a call in. The only thing that I had in my closing bag were 100% financing (no one was ever turned down). My plan was simple, In the beginning I asked the customer when were they planning to do this job going off of their answer I would change my pitch around. I do not believe in high pressure. You may get a signature but 9 out of ten times you will get a cancellation before you get back to the office. If the customer really wants something then it's your job to present you product to them the way they want it presented. It is of the utmost importance for the sales men to ask, "when are you planning to do this work?".

SCOTT - I agree with you 100% Darryl. I just don't buy pressure. I ask for the sale and always give them all the info they need. Some folks need time to rethink without pressure. I don't think well when pressured and won't make any decisions because of that. I resist until I rethink. If I decided I liked what I heard I would call another company just because of not wanting to call the pressure guy again. Asking when they are going to do the work is a good fair non-pressure question. But how would you respond to "As soon as I find the right contractor?"

TINNER - I hate pressure and salesmen. Pressure me and I'll string you along as long as I'm in the mood! You won't get a sale though! I tell potential customers to take their time, get estimates, and feel free to call and ask me anything. I leave it at that. About 60% call and ask when I can start.

SCOTT - Good Tinner, the back-out sale is very good. I don't think that's your intention but it works well. Not saying you're using a technique but its very close to one.

ROOFGUY - Scott, I'm a decent salesman when I don't need the sale, but put me in a situation where we need a sale and I'm worthless. Back in the days when our roofing crews had a long backlog, lookout!

CMR HOUSTON - I'll second that one. When desperate, salesmen usually talk the customer out of buying just by talking too much. I know that one from experience.

ROOFDUDE - Some great points. I too as most do best when "I don't need the sale". I try real hard to present the same attitude when I need it or not although it is a challenge. I've always tried to have "the attitude". In the words of Ramone (Fast Times at Ridgemont High) "Ya gotta have the attitude...". I believe confidence without arrogance sells. There is a fine line between the two. Information, information, information is key as well. People want to know you know what you are doing and they are dealing with a professional. I think the curve ball, or "magic" involved is being able to read people. Picking up on the buying signals and shutting yer pie hole. Overselling is something we are probably all guilty of knowing when to shut up and let them ponder what you've said and respond is huge. I always try to take the stigma of "salesman" out of my pitch. "I'm a roofer, not a salesman" is a common line of mine. I usually close with, "Once we handle your project, you'll never worry about your roof again." This is usually delivered with a firm handshake and direct eye to eye contact. I am never the next one to speak.

JET - Unfortunately, in this business anyway, price is the motivator. Customers are convinced that all roofing companies are "the same" and their products are equally "the same" so it's down to price and reputation. You can have one and get away with it but to have neither is a death sentence, close wise. I like the personal approach when I sell. In other words I sell like I like to be sold to. I get to know the people on a personal level first, you HAVE to spend the time with them to close that day. Brush up on your people skills and you'll be amazed at the difference. I actually enjoy hearing their stories as it brings back memories of times past. We deal with a lot of out-of-stater's here so it's interesting to hear about their home state. A roofer knows (or should know) the technical side of the business. The customer does not and cannot relate, believe me. Get to be friends first and they'll believe what you're telling them.

TRG - I do believe in the psychology aspect of the sale. Listening and trying to meet their needs. I show everything, show photo albums (see if they like something), usually leave off with "sleep on it and let me know. If it becomes a matter of dollars and cents I would like to discuss it with you so please call" BUT certain customers know exactly what they want and are ready to go and in those situations you have to be able to close it or lose it. A lot of times you come to understand where they're coming from by asking "So can I have/schedule this job for you?" As they answer allows you to find out any objections they have and answer them. I will generally ask for the job 2-3 times during the course of the "interview" as it helps me learn more by doing so. Sometimes it's a matter of "all you had to do was ask". "The others seemed like they wanted my business more because they asked for it and you didn't" You can generally sense a buyer from a shopper if you spend time with them. I do agree with you guys though, just bringing up my points as well. Also educating the customer can be very important.

TRG - I will ask for the sale "once" only if the signs are there otherwise they get a follow up call to ask about any questions etc. Well it's basically a gauge to find out if you are addressing their needs. By the way I hate salesmen. I usually look for what I want and if I have a question I go to a salesman who hasn't bothered me.

SCOTT - You don't have to call yourself a salesman. You can say you're a Rep or like Roofdude says "I'm a roofer not a salesman".

BULL - I'm of the opinion, with a few probing questions, the customer will tell you what they need to hear.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - Banner - Roofing Week
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

egtest82124 Avatar
Everroof - Sidebar Ad - Podcast Promo
Quarrix - Sidebar Ad - Wall Protection Ad
egtest82124 Avatar
Art Unlimited - Sidebar Ad -Decider Pro
Metal-Era & Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Falcon