User Access

Forum pinned ad
General Coatings - Sidebar Ad - Get Your Info Now
test
Information pinned ad
Metal-Era & Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Falcon
NRCA - Sidebar - Roofing week
Malarkey-Dec-Sidebar-Ad-250x265
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

I have a confession to make

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Patty Cakes

As most know I'm no longer involved with roofing, I am now an at home consumer. The other end of the spectrum. This has been my year to make a move and get things done. Started with a newly established vegetable garden and finally putting a deck/patio/something on the side of the house. I was thinking a concrete slab, strung it out to size. I had to get the septic emptied (3 yr. program if your not hooked to sewer), my tank is 23 years old when it fails I would have to hook to sewer, well my hook up to the sewer had to run right under where I want my concrete slab. Rowt row. I had to connect to the sewer. I spoke of this on another of Vickies blogs about free estimates. 2 calls, 1 response, he got the job, very pleased. This past scorching week the concrete patio was poured. I started debating wood deck/concrete???????? My friend/neighbor/contractor came for a visit, I was throwing my ideas around, telling of my material estimate for wood decking with our labor. He SAID "what" DO CONCRETE material & labor for less. He set it up for stone, we spread it & tapped it down, concrete poured. I am now the proud Mother of a lovely concrete patio that has been in my dreams for 20 years, some days reality is great. I'm like a steam engine now, the slab is there, now onto landscaping around it. Nothing fancy I'm talking DIRT. I need topsoil, approx. 6 yards bringing the area to grade and fixing the trench from the sewer that has now settled. I WANT IT DONE. Here comes the confession of sorts, I called the sewer guy from before, he is a small GC 1/2 mile away for an estimete to bring in and grade. He came that day, called me with an estimate and I choked. My questimate was way lower than his, ouch. I haven't gotten back to him yet. I just can't do it $$$ wise. So good old manual labor, blood, sweat & tears will prevail in the long run. I turned that steam engine of mine back a notch. It will get done. As for my GC down the road, I'll call & talk to him. My point: Hearing the take from all you roofing contractors, we (me) are taking up your time with a prospect that falls dead in the water. I know my intentions were good, I wanted it done but unfamiliar with that trade and totally clueless of pricing. I went about it all wrong. So, sorry to say , I'm one of them. :S PC

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cotney Consulting - Banner Ad - Next Level Estimating Training
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
test
General Coatings - Sidebar Ad - Get Your Info Now
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Danny Boyle
RClub pinned ad
asdf12