User Access

Forum pinned ad
test
Information pinned ad
RClub pinned ad
Everroof - Sidebar Ad - Podcast Promo
Metalforming - Sidebar Ad - April 2022
Leap - Sidebar Ad - Empowering Contractors
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Drones Invade The Roofing Business - What Say You?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

natty

Lefty Said:
Chuck Said:

Roofing is one trade that technology wont be able to over take. There is no substitute for a truly skilled roofer.

A real roofer with technology will beat a real roofer without technology 99% of the time.

What is a "real" roofer? I think I know what a "skilled" roofer is as chuck was using the term. Technology can put a nail line on the shingle, but no amount of technology is going to make the nail go through that line. Technology might make your business better, but it won't make you a better roofer.

July 5, 2014 at 9:20 a.m.

Roofguy

I used to take aerial photos of our roofs the old fashion way: From the left seat of a Piper Archer or Cessna Skyhawk. With a Minolta SX-370 35mm camera no less...pretty darn hard to get a clear shot.

Every remote control aircraft I've ever tried to fly, I cashed and burned right off the bat. They say airplane pilots make the worst RC pilots because we're used to flying by feeling the G-forces (seat of pants)(.

July 4, 2014 at 5:37 p.m.

vickie

If it was me I would always get on the roof (when possible) but for presentation - a big overhead of the project as a whole - is a real turn on for the customer.

How about for quick looks? If it could work quickly I think it would be a great tool for inspections if you haven't been invited to get on the roof yet, Commercial or Residential. You can show them they have a problem. (Might have privacy issues on the residential though).

I keep seeing these in progress shots of roofing projects from overhead on Instagram that are so cool. I was thinking at first that it was so convenient that they had a tall building next door, then I thought who would rent a helicopter for a residential project - then it dawned on me.

I just get so excited by another gadget.

July 4, 2014 at 5:17 p.m.

theroofmedic1

Technology is great when match with experience. Drones can be good for over all viewing, BUT if you really want to know what's going on with a roof you still need "Boots on the Roof." IMO

July 4, 2014 at 4:57 p.m.

wywoody

For those guys that inspect roofs from the cab of their truck, drones could be a real improvement in their work.

Until they have one with an arm that lifts a tile, takes a picture of the underlayment, then replaces the tile, They're not ready for me, not I'm not ready for the technology.

July 4, 2014 at 1:46 p.m.

Lefty1

There is no offence taken.

Technology makes me more efficent not slower.

You are assuming a lot. I can sell a lot of repairs over the phone.

Keeping up with the workload is the hardest thing. I am training one guy right now. I am on the job with him. He does all the talking with the customer. I just clean-up or load the truck. Sometimes I just do paperwork on the internet while he is doing the work. Or I will run an estimate. I have been doing this with him since January. He is ready to go on his own. I just need to hire a helper to work with him. He is not capable of doing everything, but I know what I can send him on.

Then I will start with someone else.

July 4, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

Chuck2

Lefty, with all due respect you entering my market would have no effect on me. I get the call, set the appointment and go sell the job before the larger companies even have time to relay the info on to their estimators. Sometimes they show up to bid the job after I've already performed the work. ;)

July 4, 2014 at 12:18 p.m.

Lefty1

There is no argument at all that you get most of the jobs you look at. If I was in your market that would not happen and you would have to change.

As long as things stay the same you do not have to change.

July 4, 2014 at 11:59 a.m.

Chuck2

So when are the roofing robots coming out Lefty? The only technology I use is the internet and a camera, neither of which is new anymore and I get the job 75% of the time. 50% of the time on the spot. ;)

July 4, 2014 at 10:07 a.m.

Lefty1

Chuck Said: I lost track years ago of how many clients said quote: I chose you because you were the only one who even got up on the roof.

Roofing is one trade that technology wont be able to over take. There is no substitute for a truly skilled roofer.

A real roofer with technology will beat a real roofer without technology 99% of the time.

July 3, 2014 at 11:43 p.m.

Chuck2

I lost track years ago of how many clients said quote: "I chose you because you were the only one who even got up on the roof".

Roofing is one trade that technology won't be able to over take. There is no substitute for a truly skilled roofer.

July 3, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.

theroofmedic1

The use of Drones was a recent discussion by a group of underwriters I work for. The cost savings was the biggest attraction for insurance inspections. I looked into one for my business, a good drone with an upgraded camera is about $1200-$1500. Training is imperative and should be part of the investment. One of the concerns that came up is collateral damage, crashing into a car or even a person.

Several home inspectors I know are starting to use them for residential inspections. A friend said, wind was a hurdle that he had to watch out for and learn how to better maneuver his drone. The images are really crisp and clear... not to mention cool. I still believe you need "boots on the roof" to verify damage, construction, etc. But I am still looking into them for certain applications.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cotney Consulting - Banner Ad - Next Level Estimating Training
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
RClub pinned ad
Polyglass - Sidebar Ad - Polyfresko
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Danny Boyle
Information pinned ad
Palisade - Sidebar Ad - Palisade Build On Trust