User Access

Forum pinned ad
Directory pinned ad
Sika - Sidebar Ad - 5% Off
RClub pinned ad
Forum pinned ad
Malarkey-Dec-Sidebar-Ad-250x265
Franklin International - Sidebar Ad - New Metal Roof Sealant
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Does your company require employees to have their own tools? Does your company have an employee purchase program?

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
Author

sarah2

Thanks to NA Bocker for giving us this great question on Facebook

January 6, 2010 at 9:29 p.m.

GKRFG1

I will supply new employees some basic tools, hammer, knife, nail bag, they can use an extra nail gun, etc. but it will be reflected in their starting pay.

December 20, 2009 at 9:48 a.m.

pnunes

I work for a commercial roofing company that supplies everything from knives to uniforms with no cost to the employee. the cost of inefficiencies out weighs the cost of the tools being purchased.

December 16, 2009 at 10:50 p.m.

fshane1

I give the guy's a new setup at Christmas (hatchet, tape, chalk box, knife, tool belt etc). Sort of like a Christmas bonus. If they loose, break or wear out during the year, they have to replace out of their pay.

December 16, 2009 at 2:35 p.m.

Rusty

I believe in the value of employees owning their own tools. That however is not the case here in Texas at many places.

December 16, 2009 at 5:33 a.m.

seth

we supply power tools but expect employees to have the basics, giving new guys tape, knife and scissors to start with if they have no tools

their is truth to if they paid for it they will keep track of it.

we have tool checks once a month. How much time do you think is lost with guys looking for a chalk line or walking across the roof to borrow scissors then walking back to return them!

December 13, 2009 at 4:30 p.m.

Mike H

I supply a basic tool set and belt. If stuff wears out, I replace it. If it's lost or stolen, they buy it. When you quit or are fired, tools need to be turned in or they are deducted from final pay.

December 12, 2009 at 11:08 a.m.

Old School

Amen Twill

December 11, 2009 at 12:14 p.m.

twill59

Hand tools yes. Bag, tape, knives, hammer, or hatchett.

The good ones bring add'l stuff. I think it has to do that the good ones are always working anyway. At home, weekends, relatives house, etc And it is the good ones that are trusted to borrow tools also. It is the good ones that respect the tools, me and the business.

We supply everything else including pencils, knife blades, and squares, (even if they did bring their own)

As we all know, you can tell a lot about a man and his tools

December 10, 2009 at 11:55 p.m.

OLE Willie

Well, in the old days of hand nailing if you didn't show up with a roofing hatchett, nail apron and a knife ( at least ) then it was pretty obvious you were not the real deal. In todays times with nail guns, air compressors and hoses being much more expensive than a hammer there are plenty of guys out there that can use them fairly well but don't own their own set up.

December 10, 2009 at 6:46 p.m.

wywoody

I supply my old, but adequate tools. Those that go out and buy their own are far more likely to work out than those that don't. It's a good early indicator of what the guy is made of.

December 10, 2009 at 4:36 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

Companies that loaned me money to buy tools charged 10% fee. Some companies have a cabinet, "or supply store" if you will, where you can purchase at "inflated prices" the small hand tools that you will need.

"JSC" Is right....tools do last a lot longer when employees buy them with.

December 10, 2009 at 2:35 p.m.

jcagle9595

Durable life/possession of a company supplied tool......2 hrs to 1 week.

Durable life/possession of an employee owned tool.......years to decades.

December 10, 2009 at 9:24 a.m.

egg

The first thing I make them buy is a WUKO unibender. just kidding.

December 10, 2009 at 8:23 a.m.

wywoody

I've known of several local companies that, if their emplyees didn't have tools, they supplied them for them and then deducted (at an inflated value) from their checks. I give them the same esteem as check-cashing places. Expoiting the vulnerable.

December 10, 2009 at 6:45 a.m.

Jed

Ditto.

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tremco - Banner Ad - Train to Retain Podcast
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
Malarkey-Dec-Sidebar-Ad-250x265
classified
Directory pinned ad
RLW pinned ad
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Danny Boyle