Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
General Coatings - Sidebar Ad - Get Your Info Now
Forum pinned ad
Exceptional Metals - Sidebar Ad - Metal Roof Tax Incentives
Tuck - RCS - 2022 - Sidebar
Wil-Mar - Sidebar Ad - I Got My Wil-Mar Pipe Collar!
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Designing the 'Best' Roof... How do you do it?

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
Author

RoofYourWorld

Obviously there is no 'best' roof system.

What are some components that you feel are absolutely critical to address when designing roof systems to fit your customer's needs?

I wrote a blog on this topic which has 4 critical areas that I always include. What do you think?

http://roofyourworld.com/bestroof/

-Eric

January 9, 2020 at 1:11 p.m.

Pattern X

anything less is just child's play...  there's real roof tailoring, then there's everything else...

January 9, 2020 at 1:10 p.m.

Pattern X

In terms of investment/service life, their is a "best" roof.  Traditionally seamed european standing seam.  We have surviving precedents from around the year 800 at Aachen. 

March 10, 2012 at 10:11 a.m.

spudder1

I have been installing every type of roofing system since 1970, however here where we were licensed and doing business we were required by code to put down all types of roofing that was approved by the product approval board. They follow the manufactures specifications and wind codes. All item have to be tested before they are approved by the engineering group of Metro Dade For those not familiar with Metro Dade thats right here in the sunshine state Florida. Now we find many jacklegs that put down approved products but do not follow the installation guide lines, then we have roofing failures.

February 6, 2012 at 11:52 p.m.

RoofYourWorld

Great stuff! I love the way you breakdown the projects like that. I'm sure it makes it much easier when you find a customer who is looking to have something similar done!

December 24, 2011 at 3:55 a.m.

SoCalroofer

All jobs are different, these are some of my jobs that I thought was best for the homeowner.

This lady in Newport Beach California didn't like her mansard roof. http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/579354633QQspbF

Homeowner didn't want a flat roof! http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/576930242gYlseY

Here we matched the flat roof to the pitched roof. http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/556226398lHhkVX

100sq apartment job that had a roof framed over 2 rock roofs. This a lot of work here. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/413217904zMKMlA

December 23, 2011 at 1:03 p.m.

Roofguy

My first day working for my dad 32 years ago he had me monkeying plastic cement. He said he could tell that I took an interest in doing a good job even with such a menial task, so he told everyone that I was to do all the monkeying on that job. I wasn't sure if that was a reward or punishment. B) But, I do remember wanting it to look right - I'm the same way 32 years later when making a repair that someone else can't get to - I want it to look smooth, nice feathered edges, etc.

December 23, 2011 at 8:27 a.m.

TomB

Roofguy...Your assumption was correct; I took it that you had "...liitle experience to draw from"...meaning; 'Roofing'). Sorry bout' that.

There are so many, here in Colorado that do have little to no actually roofing technical knowledge. However their silver tongue/charlatan ways gets them through. (State licensing would most-definitely put the hurt on those types, BTW).

FWIW; I've installed some emulsion/polyester systems in California some 23+ years ago that are stil performing today. Never used the chop gun, never really got into it that much. our systems utilized white elasomeric with a fine gravel, (called it "rice coating"/surface....something like that). I think the emulsion systems are great...Only drawback i can recall is the fricken mess we made of all the equipment, (and ourselves). Don't know what's going on today, but, back then, the emulsion systems were the prefered system for schools.

December 22, 2011 at 1:46 p.m.

Roofguy

There's theory, and then there's reality. The two should not be confused.

When a guy has been doing what he does successfully for decades, I tend to not question him just becauyse what he does seems unorthodox to me.

December 22, 2011 at 1:40 p.m.

Roofguy

TomB Said: Interesting...I realize Ill get some heat from this. But....Although I suppose one can somewhat appreciate the tenacious aspect of attempting to push a product/service with no knowledge.....However, to some, it might seem a bit less than noble behavior.(????)

You'll only get heat because you don't have enough information to arrive at that conclusion. I was inexperienced at sales, but I'd roofed for years before I moved into sales. I knew what the customer needed, but I wasn't very polished at presenting it to him. That wasn't part of my story because it didn't need to be - had I known my "nobility" was going to come into question, I might have included my roofing experience too. FWIW, there are emulsion roofs in West Texas that I personally installed more than 27 years ago that are still on and still watertight...I knew what I was doing.

Secondly, you sound a lot like the old school roofers who ridiculed me and called me "West Texas' Best Dressed Roofing Salesman" because I was the only one out there dressing up in a tie and slacks every day. They stopped laughing when I began taking more than 50% of the coveted/large school district reroofing contracts. Lo & behold, next thing I know, some of them are wearing ties too. :)

December 22, 2011 at 12:57 p.m.

RoofYourWorld

TomB Said: Interesting...I realize Ill get some heat from this. But....Although I suppose one can somewhat appreciate the tenacious aspect of attempting to push a product/service with no knowledge.....However, to some, it might seem a bit less than noble behavior.(????)

Tom, there is nothing wrong with hustle. That being said, you've got to look at the bigger picture.

Ethics aside, you can absolutely destroy your business by pushing/selling things that are not appropriate. A huge amount of roofing companies go out of business for this reason each year.

December 20, 2011 at 7:40 a.m.

TomB

Interesting...I realize I'll get some heat from this. But....Although I suppose one can somewhat appreciate the tenacious aspect of attempting to push a product/service with no knowledge.....However, to some, it might seem a bit less than noble behavior.(????)

December 19, 2011 at 9:52 a.m.

RoofYourWorld

Roofguy Said: When I was a newbie at roofing sales I realized I had to find an angle. I didnt have experience to draw from, I wasnt smarter than my competitors - all I knew to do was to out hustle them. I cold-called 40 business owners ever single day, bid 2 roofs, sold 1. Every day. Average commission $400 (this was 1989 and I was 29).

I didnt knowingly realize what my formula was until one Saturday morning. It had snowed 6 and was still snowing, it was about 10am and I was trudging through the snow in downtown Littlefield, Tx in slacks, leather shoes, a sport coat and tie, trying to sell roofs. I was conscious of the fact that the chances of me finding any business open, let alone selling a roof, was almost zero. But the important part was that it was emblematic of what I knew I had over my competitors, and that was the willingness to hustle my butt off to a degree they werent.

HUSTLE - I love it! If you've got the mentality that you will succeed no matter what, you're probably right!!!

December 18, 2011 at 8:30 a.m.

Roofguy

When I was a newbie at roofing sales I realized I had to find an angle. I didn't have experience to draw from, I wasn't smarter than my competitors - all I knew to do was to out hustle them. I cold-called 40 business owners ever single day, bid 2 roofs, sold 1. Every day. Average commission $400 (this was 1989 and I was 29).

I didn't knowingly realize what my formula was until one Saturday morning. It had snowed 6" and was still snowing, it was about 10am and I was trudging through the snow in downtown Littlefield, Tx in slacks, leather shoes, a sport coat and tie, trying to sell roofs. I was conscious of the fact that the chances of me finding any business open, let alone selling a roof, was almost zero. But the important part was that it was emblematic of what I knew I had over my competitors, and that was the willingness to hustle my butt off to a degree they weren't.

December 16, 2011 at 6:34 p.m.

RoofYourWorld

twill59 Said: Eric you can ask anyone here.....I am not sarcastic! OK maybe I am, but I am not a liar. Just full of BS.

The thing that I question is the 80 hr work week: #1) Not sure who can pysically endure it for multiple weeks and #2) with weather and scheduling of jobs, customers and materials, how could this amount of work even be consistently available? #3) how many other crew members are gonna say Yeppers! Let me work 80 hrs w/ Eric this week too! #4) Overtime: Answer was provided. If you are starving after putting in 80 hr. weeks, then your boss really can afford it B) #5) Ive been doing this close to 30 yrs. now myself, and this is the 1st time I have ever heard of working 80 hrs.per week in the field......let alone consistently doing it. After 20 + yrs. in Biz, I know the men are hurting pretty good after 50 hrs. 80 is an incredible number Eric

There may be a little confusion on the '80 hours.' I'm assuming you got that number from my 'About me' in the blog. When I mention the 80 hour weeks I'm talking about working those long hours as a salesman, not in the field. I would have literally died putting in 80 hour weeks in the field (or developed a taste for pitch).

Sorry for the confusion on that one!

December 16, 2011 at 5:34 a.m.

twill59

Eric you can ask anyone here.....I am not sarcastic! OK maybe I am, but I am not a liar. Just full of BS.

The thing that I question is the 80 hr work week: #1) Not sure who can pysically endure it for multiple weeks and #2) with weather and scheduling of jobs, customers and materials, how could this amount of work even be consistently available? #3) how many other crew members are gonna say "Yeppers! Let me work 80 hrs w/ Eric this week too!" #4) Overtime: Answer was provided. If you are starving after putting in 80 hr. weeks, then your boss really can afford it B) #5) I've been doing this close to 30 yrs. now myself, and this is the 1st time I have ever heard of working 80 hrs.per week in the field......let alone consistently doing it. After 20 + yrs. in Biz, I know the men are hurting pretty good after 50 hrs. 80 is an incredible number Eric

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS - L&L contest
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
Leap - Sidebar Ad - Empowering Contractors
Tuck - RCS - 2022 - Sidebar
NRCA - Sidebar - Roofing week
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - 3 Things Your Manufacturers Should be Doing For You eBook (2)
Art Unlimited - Sidebar Ad -Decider Pro
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - Build Your Business: Learn How With Composite Roofing