User Access

Forum pinned ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - Mini-Macaden
S-5! - Sidebar Ad - Snow Guard
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Danny Boyle
classified
Quarrix - Sidebar Ad - Wall Protection Ad
Art Unlimited - Sidebar Ad -Decider Pro
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What type of investment do you plan to make towards training and continuing education this year?

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
Author

sarah2

What type of investment do you plan to make towards training and continuing education this year?>>>

July 2, 2009 at 6:11 p.m.

pat1

The big thing is the government has all the money now. Hud projects and/or housing rehab projects. If your into this you might want to get into lead abatement. Florida contractors have to continue education every year. So we are looking for other options.>>>

July 1, 2009 at 12:00 a.m.

egg

Maybe I'll take a look at that site. Until now, or then, assuming I see something I like, my pumpjack safety plan was implemented decades ago when I got rid of them.>>>

June 23, 2009 at 11:42 a.m.

Chuck1

Werner Ladder has a ladder safety and pump jack safety program on their web site that contractors can use for training purposes. There is a charge for the program that is in both English and Spanish. her is a link: http://www.wernerladder.com/safety/

>>>

June 16, 2009 at 4:27 p.m.

Straight Line

The top 4 guys in our company have a combined 67 years experience all in the same city. So we all pretty much just go our separate ways, do our jobs, and handle things as they come up.

But sometimes we forget how valuable it is to make time for a 2-hour meeting at least once a month. We commited to this in January and the results have been impressive in terms of both cutting expenses and identifying opportunities for opening new business and trade relationships. A side benefit is that we have helped each other prevent aggravating & expensive situations before they occur.

I guess that's not "training" per se, but that's our plan ... making time to talk to each other at least once a month with no distractions.>>>

June 9, 2009 at 6:15 a.m.

kingnear

I like Ed's response and am continually impressed by what kind of roofers are on this site. I grew up assuming roofers were the bottom of the barrel as far as business men, but reading the RE for the last three years I found there are some really smart guys out there. I agree with ed's proactive approach and attitude. No matter how big and successful you are you always have areas you can improve. And likewise, the bigger you get it, the more likely you need to pay attention to things like training, and quality managment, incentive programs. There are the obvious paybacks from these things such as better quality, safer jobs, and quicker and more efficient workers, but there are also hidden bonuses involved such as your workers "feelling" a sense of value that you want to involve them. They know when you are investing in them and when you are just raking money off thier backs. Some guys say its too much work or its too hard. I agree too some point, but thats where the money is.>>>

May 31, 2009 at 8:25 p.m.

pgriz

We've invested in building an in-house training center. The installation work is split into four levels, and each level gets appropriate training. Since most of the guys we get are hands-on types, there's not much point in lots of classroom time. However, we discuss the objectives, get a demo by a supervisor, then go to the training mockup to practice. After that, it's on the job supervision. If the foreman sees that someone's having problems in a specific technical area, they are asked to come to the training center during a rainy day and practice on their weakness. At the senior levels, we focus more on job management, people management and methods to improve quality and reduce costs. I see training as a way to get my tools (my workers) operating with a sharp edge.>>>

May 29, 2009 at 7:07 p.m.

OLE Willie

Other than using my 25 years of on the job experience to train my nephew nothing. We will be downsizing. Tired of paying out money for things that are not necessary or needed. . Its too hard to find the right kind of people who will stick around long enough to make training pay off. :woohoo:>>>

May 29, 2009 at 3:19 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

For starters, every 2nd Friday, we intentionally schedule to end that day early, so the guys can pick up their paychecks, but also to review what has been going on, both good or bad on the previous jobs.

Naturally, I want to encourage more of the good aspects and not be too oppressive when discussing the things that could have been done better.

Safety is the most common theme at our bi-weekly meetings, but we alternate sessions with chapters out of the Certainteed Master Shingle Applicator Manual and also discuss proven or suggested alternative methods.

If we install a product that the consumer gets charged for, we want to discuss the merits of if it really will provide the customer with the additional benefits in their particular situation.

I don't consider the costs that the paid hours takes, because inevitably, the crew can be either more productive or more safe or more quality oriented than if we did not have these discussions.

Also, when the manufacturers or supply houses have any type of educational seminar going on, we strive to have at least the foreman and his lead man attend with myself and any salesman employed at the time.

This continual "Investment" is really one that reaps untold benefits, because we don't have to see as many potential errors creating call backs or safety issues that cause an injury, which would cause much more of a financial strain if we did not invoke them on a regular basis.

Ed>>>

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tamko - Banner Ad - Experience Titan XT
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
RClub pinned ad
Quarrix - Sidebar Ad - Wall Protection Ad
classified
Metalforming - Sidebar Ad - April 2022
NRCA - Sidebar - Roofing week