User Access

Forum pinned ad
RClub pinned ad
Information pinned ad
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - Build Your Business: Learn How With Composite Roofing
ICP - Sidebar Ad - APOC Professional Protection
test
NRCA - Sidebar - Roofing week
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Taking pictures on the Job - Safety Question

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

I Look at pictures all day of people on the roof.  Lots of times guys aren't tied off or there is a low parapet wall with no warning line.  What am I missing? I would love to share sometimes but I get yelled at for promoting unsafe business practices. Can't OSHA fine from a photo now?  You guys scare me.

September 22, 2020 at 6:50 a.m.

Ahoppelife

Part of my job is taking pictures before during and after to show that we are correctly applying our products. Also customers love to see them. We have made videos using a drone and when needed took pictures with a drone. I always get permission before taking pictures and if needed a permit when working at large plants. I think it is a useful tool especially when needing to show new potential customers what you would be doing to help them with their roof. I think this should always be done. 

June 13, 2020 at 11:12 p.m.

EmeryS

I am a fan of OSHA.  Growing up in the roofing industry from the 70's, starting out as a single roof loader using a liftbed and plank, no communication or first aid services available on job site, we have come so far! I ended my roofing career as a roof inspector during escrow I climbed up and down two-story ladders by myself taking pictures with a Sony Mavica storing pictures on a 3.5 floppy drive, one per address.

Safety was a personal issue that ultimately decided for me in 2010 that I would not remain at risk for accidental falls due to balance beyond 58 years old.  I opted out. I do wish I documented that decision better visually.  There were so many risky places I could not face any longer. I was fortunate.  This decision allowed me to leave the roofing industry only falling off a one-story roof to the ground once, from a two-story to a one-story once, no ladder falls, bones broken or other injuries.  I did rupture my carotid artery from repetitive neck motion in 1989 at 37 that caused some continuing vision and neurological effects.  

Glad to have served the industry and still healthy into my later 60's now.

THINK SAFETY.

April 22, 2020 at 4:46 p.m.

roofrat

That is ludicrous! If you were up here in the great white north the ministry of labour would nail your a$$ to the wall. Everyone is treated the same from roofer, inspector, site super and practically anyone on the roof. Anyone that comes onto one of my roofs will abide by all provincial regulations. No exceptions or I'll ask them to leave the roof immediately.  I would be devastated if someone fell over the edge" inspecting" some flashings or something. 

April 21, 2020 at 4:57 a.m.

richard

Roof inspectors are basically exempt from OSHA violations for safety or fall protection. I can climb on any roof with or without any safety to do an inspection. I can measure, take photos, inspect, look for hail or any other damage and not worry about OSHA... as long as I am acting in an insepction capacity and NOT performing any work on the roof.

The minute I walk on the roof for the purpose of repairing or replacing it all OSHA safety rules are in full force.

I hope this helps.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

JOBBA - Banner Ad - JOBBA Now Available in Spanish!
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
Information pinned ad
Sika - Sidebar Ad - 5% Off
test
Franklin International - Sidebar Ad - New Metal Roof Sealant
RLW pinned ad
RClub pinned ad