English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
Exceptional Metals - Sidebar Ad - Metal Roof Tax Incentives
classified
General Coatings - Sidebar Ad - Get Your Info Now
Wil-Mar - Sidebar Ad - I Got My Wil-Mar Pipe Collar!
Leap - Sidebar Ad - Empowering Contractors
Art Unlimited - Sidebar Ad -Decider Pro
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Best shoes/boots

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Sean

I'm sure this has been covered but couldn't find it. I've been an estimator for 10 years and use hiking boots for all purpose and cougar paws for steeper roofs. That combination has served well but I wouldn't mind trying an improvement over my hiking boots. I've heard a lot of people recommend doc martins. Are they worth it? What other boots are recommended for shingle roofs.

On a weird side note, do not get "performance" type socks. I bought some hanes socks made out of some synthetic material thinking they would be good but your foot will slide around in your shoe no matter how tight you lace them.

February 28, 2019 at 6:57 a.m.

Batikikik

Hello Everyone. Did anyone use www.Pickmyroof.com ?

We have been approached to be part of their network. It’s basically an open platform that allows the homeowner to get their instant quote and do the scheduling. Few of our colleges are using it and I want to know if anyone else is using it or not.

Thank you

January 30, 2019 at 5:00 a.m.

clarashanks

We picked through of the best shoes of winter for women boots and tried and audit next to each other. We've assessed how these boots perform from the city to the mountains to the Arctic. Amid testing, we pushed through wet and overwhelming snow, punched down through powder, slid around frigid carports and even gallivanted through cold mountain streams.see more info visit this site sheispicky(dot)com.  :)

Training Shoes For women

November 8, 2016 at 11:55 a.m.

twill59

Don't forget fellas, strap on those STEEL TOE SAFETY Boots as required by OSHA. Why? Because you don't know s h i t

November 8, 2016 at 6:15 a.m.

Lindsey Hill1

Best boots are: 1) Thorogood Men's American Heritage Lace-to-Toe Roofer Boots 2) Cougars Paws Peak Series Performer Roofer Boots With Removable Cougar Paw Pads 3) Red Wing Heritage 6-Inch Round Toe Boot 4) Original Chippewa 8-Inch Wedge Sole Lace-Up Boots 5) Timberland PRO Men's Wedge Sole Six-Inch Soft Toe Boot

October 13, 2016 at 5:38 p.m.

egg

Lol. Over there in the land of Bible antiquity they've traded in sandals for combat boots. "Lord boards" is a good one; surprised I've never heard of it.

"Grant Anup's (Annubis) children this: to howl with thee Queen Isis o'er the scattered remains of wronged Osiris... ...... .... and when Horus your son comes to avenge this divulsion, sceptre in hand, sandals on feet, we shall return from across the sand, from loyal jackal land, to gorge five nights and days on asses meat." ---R.D. Graves

When I was stricken with plantar fasciitis I was looking to do a thirty square concrete tile job and needed to hand-load from my truck across a 26 ft. plank to a ridge and then pack and spread from there, another 40-50 ft. to the far side. Had three of us and needed a fourth to make up for my hobbling with sixty lbs. a pack. So we got Jack to help.

Jack was an acquaintance of one of us. Reputed to be a good fellow, about late thirties and recently out of the penitentiary. (Are you kidding me???) But no, he had been in for pounding the hell out of someone who had roughed up his sister and had done his time and was said to be really quite honest and decent. Ok.

About an hour in Jack said his back was hurting. I told him to sit awhile and do some stretching. I asked him if he had a history of back trouble and he said, "Yeah, I broke my back in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and I've got a lot of hardware in there. It's a mess." (Are you kidding me???!!!)

I relegated Jack to light duty for the rest of his day with us and considered myself to have dodged a serious bullet. What's plantar fasciitis compared to that? I was walking like a man with a wooden leg for quite awhile after that.

October 13, 2016 at 6:54 a.m.

Old School

I was going to say Mike...a ring on your left index toe? Cute! We call sandals "Lord boards"

October 12, 2016 at 10:47 p.m.

GalRfg

Had Planters, it royally sucked being a roofer... but made it through, time, stretching and special inserts really help...

I just got a pair of New Balance insoles and so far, feet feel good and great cushioning... Lynco also makes great insoles for different type of foot issues..

A frozen water bottle really helps, rolled under the foot...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

So for the question of boots, my opinion... Originally had the Colorado boots... then switched to the Wolverine brand, but lately they are falling apart too quit.... Want to try Carhartts and Chippewa boots, which are on order... all 8 inch tall..

September 15, 2016 at 8:10 a.m.

wywoody

These are absolutely the best roofing boots in the market, Thorogoods. http://www.midwestboots.com/product/TH814-4233.html

Unfortunately, once I started to do lots of pressure washing, I could no longer afford them. The vibration from pressure washing roofs wears through the soles of my left foot within a month or two, so I now buy Itasca roofer boots from Big 5. I buy multiple pairs when they are on sale for around $20. In summer I wear skate shoes.

September 14, 2016 at 7:08 p.m.

Lefty1

This is the current pair. Been resoled once. Need new heels.

Used to wear my boots to work then put on sneakers. We got a new foreman, I was switching shoes and he said "what are you doing"? I said"I did not want to fall". He laughed and told me to keep my boots on as it was not the shoes that keep you up there. Everyone but me started to shingle. It was a 9/12. He taught me how to stay on the roof. Took about 1 1/2 hours.

September 13, 2016 at 10:33 p.m.

egg

Mike, why wouldn't a cowboy wear cowboy boots? lol. One of my guys was still hungry during lunch when we were doing a hot job one day so I offered him half of my sandwich and he gladly accepted. My hands were kind of gummy from running the mop all morning so I grabbed a big pair of snips and cut it in half. The homeowner comes running out laughing and yelling...he'd been watching us through the blinds...and he says, "I knew it! I knew it! You're a cowboy!. You're a cowboy!" We're all cowboys aint that right and if memory serves me, cowboys and roofers generally end up last and next to last on AM Best's jobs desirability list. Tell me, why do we ride for short pay. There's even a song about it.

September 13, 2016 at 10:17 p.m.

egg

Plantar fasciitis is horrible. I feel for you. I had it for at least three years. Knock on wood.

From what I learned, in simplistic terms, athletes get it and you get it when you lose the elasticity in the fascia. It tears and hurts like hell.

I learned to continually stretch the fascias by pushing my heels out and pulling the toes towards me. You can get sleeping boots to help with this but I didn't go that way. Been fine for several years now and I intensify my efforts whenever my heels begin to get even even slightly tender.

Don't do anything special with shoes, but if they're not comfortable I get rid of them immediately and I try not to walk around barefoot. Using some low-cut shoes from Redwing these days. I've got about four pair and I touch them up with shoe goo and strips of inner tube where they get abraded.

I think it's great to get inserts and cushions that work. My son in law and my daughter both did that to good effect, and they definitely help but if the fascia still has little tears or inflammation shoes aren't going to cure it.

September 13, 2016 at 9:42 p.m.

Mike H

Lefty wears.H&H cowboy boots.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Rockwool - Banner Ad - Watch Now - RLW - Acoustics - April 2022
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
General Coatings - Sidebar Ad - Get Your Info Now
asdf12
classified
Leap - Sidebar Ad - Empowering Contractors
Information pinned ad