Français

User Access

Information pinned ad
Tuck - RCS - 2022 - Sidebar
Leap - Sidebar Ad - Empowering Contractors
Quarrix - Sidebar Ad - Wall Protection Ad
Forum pinned ad
egtest82124 Avatar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Mexican workers

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Jed

......as for working for less it does'nt happen here, price per sq is price per sq.....black, brown or candy stripe.....>>>

January 13, 2009 at 8:31 a.m.

4th gen roofer

Well Im right next to the Tijuana border. Ive had my fair share of working with Mexicans and every other race. There are shoddy ass scabs in every race. It all depends on who you learned from! My guys take pride in thier work and take care of me just as well as i take care of them.>>>

January 12, 2009 at 6:52 p.m.

Pot Gregory

Around here,some or most of the legal sob's, have set themselves up as a subcontractor,legal or not,I don't know. They are subbing from builders, other roofers , etc.,for less than I can do a job. When the one legal mex get's the job ,he brings in the illegals to do the work. While I don't know what the roofer is paying his help , I do know what the brickers are paying theirs. Last count I got from a friend of mine in the drywall bus.,brickers are getting from 5 to 15 dollars a day,this figure came from the horses mouth,believe it or not.>>>

January 12, 2009 at 5:56 p.m.

tarface

I dont think the race determines the type of work that is produced.I do think that using under trained,under educated employees(or non employees for the matter) is where the sub standard work comes from.

Of course they show up everyday and sober when they only make 80 bucks a day they cant afford to stay home and do other non work related activities.

>>>

January 12, 2009 at 2:50 p.m.

hatchetman

Hi Lefty,

I have heard others talk about how cheap the Mexicans work for; just thought he may tell us. And I guess it probably has nothing to do with it. Its really none of my biz anyway. But I can only assume it could be minimum wage or less.>>>

January 12, 2009 at 10:55 a.m.

GKRFG1

Robby- I don't think the issue is about shoddy work as much as it is about the effect that the hiring of illegals is having on the trade. Too many contractors are hiring them to work cheap and dragging down the wages in the trade. With the pay rate being lowered it is preventing American workers from going into the trades. Why would anyone want to work so hard for wages that won't support a family. Everyone complains that there are no Americans willing to work. I have not found that to be the case. If you aren't willing to pay a decent wage you will get only the bottom of the barrel to choose from.>>>

January 12, 2009 at 10:02 a.m.

Lefty

Hi Hatchetman,

What does pay have to do with it?>>>

January 12, 2009 at 7:22 a.m.

hatchetman

Robby; so how much do you have to pay them? I see you skipped that part.>>>

January 12, 2009 at 6:30 a.m.

Jed

Our "mexicans" don't do shoddy work, or at least no more so than the white boys because they know not to. I'll tell you what they do do though, they show up, every day, on time, sober, ready to work, they don't bitch about money or screw me on time. And with regard to the shingle subs we use, they are every bit as good as the locals. Training, attitude, wages, THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE OBSERVER..... it all goes into the mix.>>>

January 12, 2009 at 5:51 a.m.

tinner666

A large portion of SSI is going to Mexico and further south lately since the illegals don't contribute. I wonder if that has anything to do with it's failure???? :blink:>>>

January 12, 2009 at 1:38 a.m.

Robby the Roofer

In Mexico some are very fortunate to advance to high school while others began working in the fields (mom and dad cannot make enough) then advance to some type of trade. When the opportunity arises, they come to the U.S. for a better life. I am not saying that they do not know math or cannot comprehend what they are doing. What I am saying is that innovation and quality of work that you may expect is difficult for them to grasp, therefore, with stepped up efforts from all of us in the extra traning will reduce the "shoddy work syndrome". Their work is only as good as thier american training.

Shipping $$$$ to Mexico....Mexican society is about familly, mom and dad raise the kids and the kids in return support thier mom and dad during retirement. Because of our social security problems, maybe I can get my children to support me since there will be nothing left!>>>

January 12, 2009 at 1:08 a.m.

The Roofing God

Why not pay someone who will contribute to our economy,instead of stripmining it,by sending all their $$ to mexico---I don`t mind when they come here ,and want to stay,and make a life for themselves,but that`s rarely the case>>>

January 11, 2009 at 8:20 p.m.

hatchetman

Robby; who convinces a 3rd grade kid to quit school and go to work. Do I dare ask how much you have to pay these Mexicans to learn basic math? The Americano workers pool in your area must be to a bare minimum. Id say having to teach basic math to grown men "reaching to the bottom of the pickle barrel".>>>

January 11, 2009 at 7:55 p.m.

RandyB1986

Well said Robert!

For years I have had maybe 1 out of 20 customers ask if my employees could speak English...

In the last 3-4 months...I bet 7 out of 10 don't ask, but tell me they don't want Mexicans on their roof....if they can't speak English, they don't want them around.

I think it is because many white collar people have now felt what many of us have been feeling for years...the white collars now know they cant live off what illegals work for.>>>

January 11, 2009 at 5:11 p.m.

robert

they have that rep,because they do shoddy work!>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Duro-Last - Banner Ad - Custom Fabrication Award
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Exceptional Metals - Sidebar Ad - Metal Roof Tax Incentives
egtest82124 Avatar
Directory pinned ad
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - Build Your Business: Learn How With Composite Roofing
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Information pinned ad