Français

User Access

classified
Exceptional Metals - Sidebar Ad - Metal Roof Tax Incentives
Information pinned ad
RClub pinned ad
egtest82124 Avatar
Art Unlimited - Sidebar Ad -Decider Pro
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Holmes on Homes

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Old School

Mike Holmes is going to be in Kalamazoo at the Home show this week. There have been bill boards with his picture advetizing it for a couple of months. I heard yesterday that the home builders association is going to pay him $50,000.00 for the time here. Wow! I would have spoken at the show and told the attendies to hire the right contractor and to get a permit for about half that abount!

March 26, 2011 at 11:38 a.m.

Old School

No problem with that, but they would be a lot better off to just set a scaffold along the bottom where they are going to work. The ropes are more dangerous often times on a roof like that than no ropes. You still have to get up there and make a tie off point. What a joke!

March 26, 2011 at 9:15 a.m.

soldierboy

Old School Said: They know how to hang ropes all over a 4/12 pitch roof for sure!

Two words.

OSHA - SAFETY

March 24, 2011 at 9:14 p.m.

Old School

They know how to hang ropes all over a 4/12 pitch roof for sure!

March 23, 2011 at 9:52 p.m.

The Roofing God

Exactly,Not a cold roof install,but on a regular home right over the decking-I am a fan of the show,and for what it`s worth ,I think Mike left the roofer on that one,Doesn`t seem he knows too much more than the basics on roofing,But we all know no one knows everything,and it`s unrealistic to expect it-

March 23, 2011 at 9:51 p.m.

jjshaggy

did you ever see his daughter? meow!

March 22, 2011 at 7:41 p.m.

AEIRoofing

I saw that show where they left out underlayment under the metal roofing also. It was on a 2/12 slope too. Not the way I would think it would be done on his show or especially in Canada for that matter.

March 12, 2011 at 9:25 a.m.

dougger222

Went to the Twin City, MN home show last weekend. It was the home and garden show so lots of landscaping and contractors. To be honest didn't see anything different from the last years MN state fair.

Couldn't help but over hear a home owner ask about gutter topper. The guy said have your roofer do the roof first then have us install the gutter topper, those roofers can be monsters with this product.

I really like gutter toppers for two reasons,

They get damaged by even the smallest hail (voids warranty). They cause massive ice dams. The taller up the roof the helmet or topper goes the taller the ice dam.

What I don't like about gutter toppers, With some brand if you as a roofer detach and reset them the warranty is void. Of course that is if it's not already been damaged by hail or a tree branch.

March 11, 2011 at 7:14 a.m.

Old School

That's entertainment!

He has a couple of "shows" here this Saturday for the last day of the home show, and they were both sold out yesterday. You have to pay to get into the show, and then you have to have a ticket besides that to get into the talk. I don't plan on going.

Somehow I went to the show last night with my wife expecting it to be different. It is the same as last year and the year before that and the year before that. 8 painters, ten roofers, 6 gutter guys, mostly with gutter helmet stuff, and then a few banks and insurance companies. I guess they have 200 vendors, but it is more of the same. I think it is mostly an expensive waste of money.

At any rate, Holmes is a showman. It will be interesting to hear some of the feedback from his show. How does one talk for an hour or so about getting the right contractor?

March 10, 2011 at 4:41 p.m.

dougger222

Here is the link to the link,

http://www.contractortalk.com/f15/marketplace-roofing-contractors-w-mike-holmes-92297/

Has to do with "shady" roofers. Good stuff!!!

March 10, 2011 at 4:34 p.m.

dougger222

He don't need no ticket or a union stamp or whatever they do in canada, it's Mike Holmes man...

My favorite episode was when he gave his kid the new vehicle.

Speaking of unions, my dad used to be a union roofer. Best thing he did was leave the union and get his own business up and running. The other day had a home owner ask if I was a union shop. Told him no and all he said was GOOD.

On another roofing/custruction forum there was a long thread about Holmes on Homes. On was episode he slipped up and made the comment how much the job WILL cost, $200,000. He's not cheap!!!

Also, there was a more recent national news broadcast or something about hiring the "right" contractor and it was put on by Mr. Holmes.

Haven't seen his new show yet...

March 10, 2011 at 2:43 p.m.

The Roofing God

blocking condensation from forming on the underside of the metal

March 10, 2011 at 9:09 a.m.

Mike H

Besides keeping water off the new deck, on a new construction job, what does underlayment accomplish?

We don't do much metal, but our re-roofs, when being replaced as we go, don't have underlayment.

March 9, 2011 at 10:45 p.m.

The Roofing God

I think he knows what he`s doing also,except for when they were doing the metal roof without underlayment (??)

March 9, 2011 at 8:14 p.m.

Old School

He works or he used to anyway. The last year, he has down a show where his son runs the jobs and Mike does the intial inspection and then make the recomendations and follows up with the homeowner afte the fact. He does know what he is doing for sure.

March 9, 2011 at 9:56 a.m.

ottawa_roofer

My personal "opinion" about Holmes, is he's an azz. He leads you to believe that he knows his "stuff, but in fact his people know the stuff, and not him. He takes the info from other people then uses it for his benefit. Has anyone seen him swing a hammer? :angry: O/S... have you seen him swing one. His people do the work, then he takes the credit, his coveralls are allways crisp and clean without any dirt on them.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cotney Consulting - Banner Ad - Roofing Project Management Certification Program
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Exceptional Metals - Sidebar Ad - Metal Roof Tax Incentives
Information pinned ad
S-5! - Sidebar Ad - Snow Guard
Leap - Sidebar Ad - Empowering Contractors
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - Mini-Macaden
egtest82124 Avatar

RoofersCoffeeShop