Français

User Access

asdf12
egtest82124 Avatar
Everroof - Sidebar Ad - Podcast Promo
Franklin International - Sidebar Ad - New Metal Roof Sealant
Information pinned ad
Directory pinned ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Heat loss

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

twill59

4 identical houses within 500 feet of each other. Pictures snapped at the same time....about 8 am on a cold morning. Maybe 20 degrees? Sun was just starting to peak out

the one with the snowman is mine.

January 22, 2014 at 3:11 p.m.

Old School

Thanks Frank. After we did the ventilation, they came and sprayed urethane to the underside of the old plywood decking, sealing that and the soffit from the outside. The sloped part of that roof was storage from inside the house and we made it so that it was all conditioned space. That was/is nice because if you don't, you are fighting the heat and cold coming through the doors going from the bedroom into that space. It made it usable at all times of the year, and it totally eliminated the ice buildup and heat buildup in the winter and summer months. Just a good way to solve those types of problems, but you have to be able to do the carpentry work to be able to pull it off. We do that well.

January 22, 2014 at 1:40 p.m.

tinner666

Nice work. :)

January 21, 2014 at 8:07 p.m.

Old School

I guess it did work. Who fixed it?

January 18, 2014 at 10:46 a.m.

Old School

I have done this 25 times before and it always worked with picasa. What am I doing wrong?

January 18, 2014 at 10:44 a.m.
January 17, 2014 at 11:10 a.m.

twill59

I never solved the summer heat thing O/S. Window a/c units worked best :( It'd be an icebox on the 1st floor and pretty warm up top. You can feel it changing walking up the stairs.

So I've got the heat loss issue fixed, but not the complete ventilation cure.

When these capes were mass produced in this area -late 60's thru 70's- they put the insulation against the roof deck for the 1st story levels: not on the ceiling :S

January 17, 2014 at 9:18 a.m.

clvr83

OS, your link has RCS.com in the beginning of it.

January 17, 2014 at 7:44 a.m.

Old School

Fro some reason it will not upload my pictures of that roof.

January 17, 2014 at 7:42 a.m.

Old School

I have done more than a few like this. It works great and it makes it cool in the summer too [url] https://picasaweb.google.com/crookston.john4/ColdRoofInKalamazoo?authkey=Gv1sRgCOTnivPelaiZGg[/url]

January 16, 2014 at 10:56 a.m.

twill59

Did the best I could do with that house Andy. You know how Capes are. I learned a lot. I think Old School has an awesome solution to venting a cape BTW

January 16, 2014 at 10:38 a.m.

twill59

No Andy, not all towards sun. Some north and some southern exposure. Since it was early and sun not out, I don't think it is a factor

January 16, 2014 at 8:30 a.m.

andy

All oriented the same toward the sun? Looks as if you have a near perfectly ventilated and insulated house ...

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cotney Consulting - Banner Ad - Next Level Estimating Training
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

egtest82124 Avatar
Forum pinned ad
FlashCo - Sidebar ad - Edge
IKO - Sidebar Ad - ARMOURZONE
Information pinned ad
Quarrix - Sidebar Ad - Wall Protection Ad