Français

User Access

Art Unlimited - Sidebar Ad -Decider Pro
S-5! - Sidebar Ad - Snow Guard
Polyglass - Sidebar Ad - Polyfresko
egtest82124 Avatar
Information pinned ad
Palisade - Sidebar Ad - Palisade Build On Trust
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Current Project

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

twill59

20 x 48 pole barn addition

Upgrades include 26 ga. steel siding, 2x6 girts, Asphalt shingle roof, Perma Columns, 5 1/2 " concrete floor and translucent walls panels and translucent ridge cap.

We made our own trusses as the wait was potentially too long for store bought. Plus they cost me half as much. As you can see,, all purlins are clipped to trusses w/ simpson strong ties.

March 13, 2014 at 12:37 p.m.

twill59

Another framer recommended it Mike. One problem we had tho, the 2x6 is more likely to cup. We had to back some screws off

March 13, 2014 at 12:12 p.m.

Mike H

LOL, but it's looking very nice Tom. That is one WELL BUILT pole building. I honestly don't think I've ever seen one with 2x6 girts.

March 12, 2014 at 10:34 p.m.

twill59

This is getting old too Mike.... :laugh:

Can who weld OS? Me? no

March 12, 2014 at 10:32 p.m.

twill59

Update

January 28, 2014 at 3:16 p.m.

Old School

We do a lot of the building form the ground up. I like it, but I can't make as much as I can roofing. At least when I could still roof. I am getting too damn old to do anything physical anymore.

I am working with my brother on a insulated panel system for buildings like that, and when we get it going it should be a great step forward in storage buildings especially. It will have a steel frame, and we should be able to go 45 feet wide easily, and lengths in increments of 20 feet. A 60 foot long building would have 4 steel "trusses", and by the time it is done, you would have a clear span building with a concrete floor and an insulated shell for the same price as a pole building with a dirt floor and steel siding. They would go up fast too! Can you weld?

January 28, 2014 at 2:59 p.m.

twill59

Yeah Lefty you got it right I like to "admire" it as we go and adapt my planning as I go. So far that is the shelving, lighting and of necessity, drainage.

I don't think I'd find any joy in production building. Heck I don't find any satisfaction in production roofing either. At least shingling :dry:

January 28, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

Mike H

Lefty Said: Twill59,

Breaking ground and building something new always feels exciting. It never gets old.

Broke ground for a sunroom on the back of the house in August.

It still ain't done.

It has gotten VERY OLD!

LOL

January 28, 2014 at 7:07 a.m.

Lefty1

Twill59,

It is exciting to build something. It is the most exciting when the project is yours. I put an addition on the house, the only thing that could beat that is to build the whole house from scratch. Breaking ground and building something new always feels exciting. It never gets old. God made that part of our DNA.

January 27, 2014 at 3:23 p.m.

Mike H

I like it. :)

January 26, 2014 at 6:49 p.m.

twill59

We just copied the ones that are in the old pole barn. The addition is 4' narrower. Shouldn't be a problem

Not sure what the inspector might ultimately say, but my research into their requirements (their list) has led me to believe there would be no inspection.

January 26, 2014 at 6:35 p.m.

copperman

I wish I had my old shop back. Were did you get the pattern for the trusses? Did you have to get an engineer to approve the plywood gussets? Back east zoning would never allowed that without an engineers seal. I'm not sure about here in Ohio, they are very lax here as long as you have the money for the permit. I built a front porch on my home and they never came back to inspect. Inspector said for me not to worry about it. :ohmy:

January 26, 2014 at 4:52 p.m.

twill59

Top shelves finally got put in today

January 11, 2014 at 6:58 p.m.

twill59

Friggin' Water. 4" or deeper in spots today. 12" snow followed by 1' of rain.

I know it's a low spot, and......I have a plan! Backfill, drains and pipes

December 27, 2013 at 7:06 p.m.

twill59

GKRFG Said: Tom, Looks good! Is that your building? Im major league jealous!

Yes Gerry. It's gonna be Ground Zero for AMARCO.

I've never built anything before. So it's exciting. Actually my BIL is the builder, I designed it. But he's done alright with it. With me.... He knows how I am......... :dry:

December 27, 2013 at 6:58 p.m.

tinner666

:)

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - Banner - Roofing Week
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Quarrix - Sidebar Ad - Wall Protection Ad
Information pinned ad
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Danny Boyle
egtest82124 Avatar
Exceptional Metals - Sidebar Ad - Metal Roof Tax Incentives
asdf12