English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
Forum pinned ad
Sika - Sidebar Ad - 5% Off
Wil-Mar - Sidebar Ad - I Got My Wil-Mar Pipe Collar!
Palisade - Sidebar Ad - Palisade Build On Trust
Leap - Sidebar Ad - Empowering Contractors
Directory pinned ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

If you weren't in the roofing business............

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
Author

TomHay

Hi Guys!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Well, already know, I would be in the Cue Tip and Pool Cue Biz.

My old company has called me back in to do some consulting, climbed a Two Story Flat a few weeks ago after promising my back I would never again.

Hard to stay away until all the Flats have Spray Foam on them. :)

February 12, 2014 at 4:50 p.m.

twill59

I watched the video Duncan. I can't get past the part where the contractor lifts one shingle and about the edge of 4 others lift up with it.

You could at least videotape storm damage and NOT some f'ed-up installation.

Udder'n dat, do you do business in Indiana? I'd love to have someone deal with the insurance companies on my behalf.....

February 5, 2014 at 4:37 p.m.

twill59

Try google searching: onduline roof business review Google should be able to help you out there kart

February 5, 2014 at 2:52 p.m.

Anonymous

pls can anybody tell me where to find onduline roof business review, i mean for example how to see onduline roof how much sales last 5 year...

January 18, 2014 at 2:39 p.m.

Tin Man

We all tend to forget that we can, and do, a lot of things. We wear meny hats. Project Manager, Logistis, Warehouse Fourman, Supervisor, Forman,Truckdriver, Delieveries, Shop Forman, & Salesman. Not mrntion Siding Installer, Estimaters, Sheet Metal Fabercater, Carpenter. They all need a leader. You can be a leader.

December 28, 2013 at 9:52 a.m.

sonjalynn73

LOL! ~ dead if not a roofer ~ I know someone like that.

December 25, 2013 at 7:38 a.m.

OLE Willie

If not for roofing what would I be doing?

STARVING TO DEATH!

December 23, 2013 at 8:46 p.m.

Lefty1

Teach people what I have learned. I know most of the pitfalls, as I have fell into most of them along the way and know the way out.

Wow, Egg using paragraphs.

December 5, 2013 at 1:13 p.m.

tinner666

I'd love to have a junk yard and recycling plant. :) And I'd also own my own complete machine shop. :)

October 27, 2013 at 1:05 p.m.

Tropical Roofer

I would probably be a realtor. But I like the idea of becoming an Insurance Adjustor. The travel appeals to me.

September 10, 2013 at 9:56 p.m.

seen-it-all

If I could start over I would probably want to be an electrician in the IBEW. Good wage and good benefits. Would still miss having those days when all the stars line up and you make a hansom profit in one days work. I would probably get the same thrill getting double overtime on a union job working a stat holiday.

September 9, 2013 at 7:54 p.m.

Roofguy

GSD Said: At this time, I would probably go full time at the gym, teaching classes all day long, personal classes, etc. Id do pretty good.

but as I taught, Id be dreaming of someday growing up to be a roofer !!!

I was on my way to realizing my dream of doing just that. I had 2 karate schools and was looking at 2 more when I had a bad car wreck in 1994. On my way to ABC Supply for a roofing demo, ironically.

If I could do it all over I would have been a lifer in the Marines, or maybe attempted to be a SEAL, then after 20 years become a fireman or cop.

Or being involved in the gun industry in some way.

P.s. GSD, back in 1994 I was charging $45/hr for private lessons and could have got $75 when I was to become 3rd Dan 6 weeks after my wreck. T'wasn't meant to be...

September 4, 2013 at 6:01 p.m.

Old School

There was a "pope" named Alexander that wrote about a "Maid-a-milking? Isn't that from the "12 days of Christmas"?

And I thought I wrote funny!

September 2, 2013 at 11:58 p.m.

egg

I was groomed to be an oboist, a sculptor, and a writer. The prospect of subjecting those loves of mine as well as myself to the requirement of making a solid living and having a righteous family life was horrifying. I bailed on them as careers by age 20.

At 23 I had to pick between roofing, which I had become addicted to and managing a restaurant where I was working as a waiter. The decision came about the time I needed to wear gloves to conceal the evolving rough appearance of my hands. Simply had to pick one or the other to carry on.

They both came with high pressure, required quick decision-making and adherence to quality. They both required deft management of material and time. In the end, roofing was more physical and I wanted the physical. I still do so it was clearly a good choice. For the next forty years people asked why roofing. They like to follow up with what they think is a one-two punch by saying something silly like, "You could do anything you want." Of course, nobody can do "anything they want." Nobody. But assuming you can or could, they are always a little shocked when I say, "That's what everybody said. It should be flattering, then, that I took you all literally." Not my fault if they fail to understand. I chose freedom and roofing gave my the clearest path to that.

"...Vast-limbed and broad, the farmer came at length whose cereal care provided the vital strength of chanticleer, whose matutinal cry roused the quiescent form and op'd the eye of razor-loving cleric who in bands connubial joined the intermixed hands of him whose rent apparel gaped apart and the 'lorn maiden with lugubrious heart, her who extraught the exuberant lactic flow of nutriment from that cornigerent cow, Eumenidal executor of fate, that to sidereal altitudes elate Cerberus, who erst with fang lethiferous left lacerate Grimalkin latebrose-- That killed the rat That ate the malt That lay in the house that Jack built." (Alexander Pope)

Life is a mystery and happily will always remain one.

September 2, 2013 at 8:46 a.m.

wywoody

I would have probably been a builder. When I was younger, most builders had started as framers and I was framing and impatient when I returned to roofing because I could run the whole show sooner.

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - We Stand With Ukraine
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
ICP - Sidebar Ad - APOC Professional Protection
Information pinned ad
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - 3 Things Your Manufacturers Should be Doing For You eBook (2)
Polyglass - Sidebar Ad - Polyfresko
Malarkey-Dec-Sidebar-Ad-250x265
FlashCo - Sidebar ad - Edge