User Access

Forum pinned ad
Everroof - Sidebar Ad - Podcast Promo
Directory pinned ad
Metal-Era & Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Falcon
Exceptional Metals - Sidebar Ad - Metal Roof Tax Incentives
Malarkey-Dec-Sidebar-Ad-250x265
General Coatings - Sidebar Ad - Get Your Info Now
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

If you weren't in the roofing business............

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
Author

GKRFG1

what would you be doing? As much as this trade is a PIA I can't imagine what else I would/could do for a living that would make me a better living. I imagine that I would have to do sales work of some kind in the trades but I'm sure it would be hard to find a company that I could trust to work for. Just wondering what you guys thought.

January 4, 2020 at 11:21 a.m.

The Roofing God

I would and Top world was Roof , TRG 

June 17, 2018 at 11:17 a.m.

vickie

Bump

April 29, 2014 at 6:59 a.m.

Artash

Maybe wold run a small internet marketing agency

April 22, 2014 at 3:15 a.m.

Leulir

The rates of the roofing sheets varies according to the types and quality that you prefer.. for poultry form I suggest to choose pre-coated roofing sheets or just check out this link that may help u http://www.roofing-matters.net/

April 13, 2014 at 7:24 a.m.

TomB

"Wave of the future", has run-out on the beach years ago. Been hearing BUR is done for the past 30+ years.

I remember in the late 70's being introduced to EPDM on a Navy base project in California, and I'm sure us west-coast guys were well behind the east/mid-west, on the single-ply band-wagon. In recent years, the title 24 has probably helped the TPO/PVC market in Ca. Still; Dollar for dollar BUR is hard to beat in Ca.

BUR is a tried & proven methodology. However, takes significant capital investment, actual roofing knowledge, craftsmanship/artisanship that can only be perfected with experience.It's also dirty/hard work. Whereas single-ply technology/logistics are relatively inexpensive, quick to teach and far cleaner/safer to perform. Done correctly, they work just as well. It's a no-brainer, (especially east of the CD),in today's market.

April 3, 2014 at 7:06 p.m.

will

That is a tough question been roofing for so long and loving every minute of it.

March 31, 2014 at 3:09 p.m.

TedLeger

Hello everyone,

New to the forum, but I do have many posts on other roofing forums. Came across this one today, so I thought I would go ahead and join.

I personally don't know. I have been getting on top of roofs since I was a teenager. I do know now that I am almost 40, I am starting to wear down a bit. Not saying I am old, but when you do work as such you eventually start to hurt. I fell off a roof when I was younger as well, and it has really affected my back.

I would like to work inside. It is getting hot! Especially on a shingle roof do we have to make sure in the summer we don't stay on it past noon or so here in Louisiana. On top of that the humidity is a killer here.

March 24, 2014 at 10:21 a.m.

twill59

"Wave of the Future"? how about Wave of the Present...and recent past?

March 24, 2014 at 10:19 a.m.

twill59

There are still old timers out there who remember BUR?

Would they not be Old Old Timers?

March 21, 2014 at 9:28 p.m.

richardpriddy

Patty Cakes Said: I agree, a great question. Maybe it has been discussed before How did you get into roofing is another. That what I like to know.

I recently asked a young man how he became a Mechanic? Answer: My Dad was a deisel mechanic all his life and I loved helpng him but he turned me away from it and convinced me to follow carpentry instead and I did the VoTech and learned carpentry and learned a lot but didnt like it. I wanted motors to fix. What a happy camper this guy is with his trade.

I recently asked my friend/neighbor the same question. He is a contractor, home building, repair etc. This summer his vans BRAIN went on the fritz. Long story short he spent 6 weeks down. He filled the time by finishing furniture that he had collected from yard sales, along the road and an awesome wooden office chair from ages ago that he got from ME because I had the chits of the ratty thing. His refinishing work is incredible, obviously his passion. Presenting the question: In high school, was following several ideas not committed to anything and worked a partime job which introduced him into furniture cleaning and presentation for a second hand store. This is still his dream, to get out of the hard working stuff and now in his later years work in his workshop with wood. It will happen. PC BY ACCIDENT

GKRFG Said: what would you be doing? As much as this trade is a PIA I cant imagine what else I would/could do for a living that would make me a better living. I imagine that I would have to do sales work of some kind in the trades but Im sure it would be hard to find a company that I could trust to work for. Just wondering what you guys thought.
I have become a superintendent and a teacher of roofing. BUR is always the oldtimers favorite, but the single plies and the coatings are the wave of the future, Like ol Howard Hughes once said, " THe Wave Of The Future".

March 15, 2014 at 1:19 a.m.

Still lovin the pain

March 15, 2014 at 1:18 a.m.

Still lovin the pain

Ive always wanted to drive truck so I could travel, be free and meet people. Now electricity peaks my curiosity and I am learning another trade ever so slowly.

March 14, 2014 at 9:51 p.m.

GKRFG1

New question of the "Month" ;) ;) :laugh: How long have you been an addict at the Coffee Shop?

I don't even drink coffee.

March 13, 2014 at 11:02 p.m.

Still lovin the pain

I love to travel and meet people. I always wanted to drive truck. The way people drive nowadays , I'll stay on the roof!

February 28, 2014 at 1:23 a.m.

BrianMcCallister1

I think roofing is the best profession to me. If the people say that they do not want to be a roofer it shows that they have lesser knowledge about roofing. The person with the perfect knowledge can become the good roofing expert.

« Back To RCS Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sherwin-Williams - Banner Ad - Make More with Metal
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Forum pinned ad
asdf12
S-5! - Sidebar Ad - Snow Guard
Tuck - RCS - 2022 - Sidebar
Leap - Sidebar Ad - Empowering Contractors
FlashCo - Sidebar ad - Edge